lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
Dneon95
Not Yet Wild

Default Brakes possibly sticking?

We went for a ride today and someone noticed a burning smell when we got back. The cart has been running very slow, and dying very quick. Because of this I had been troubleshooting battery issues. He suggested the brakes might be sticking, causing the slowness and battery dying quicker. It made sense. Seeing as we can't even push the cart when in neutral. I am guessing the brakes are shot, but is there a way to check if it's somehow locking the wheels? I want to know that's the issue, before I put more money into this.. If I find our this was the whole issue, I'll buy new pads and whatever else I need to. Thanks
Dneon95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2017, 07:53 AM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Brakes possibly sticking?

Perhaps it's your cables that are rusted up and the springs are not pushing back? I'm sure there are some threads on here as to how to check this. It's a two person "job" as one will need to push the brake peddle on and off, while the other will need to be under the cart looking at what the cable is doing. DO NOT have the cart on when you do this. In fact, remove the key from it so the guy under the cart doesn't get.....well...you know......
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Dneon95
Not Yet Wild

I'll jack it up and see if the wheels spin. So should I be able to hand turn the wheels whether its in FWD or REV? There really isn't a neutral, unless that's considered between the 2. I know they are meant to spin in opposite directions.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

as long as the cart is OFF....it won't make any difference whether it F, R, or N, seeing as how the wheels/diff/motor are all coupled together and obviously there is no clutch to disengage anything.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Also, if you download the owners, parts, and service manuals for your buggy, there is a whole chapter on brakes.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Also, if you download the owners, parts, and service manuals for your buggy, there is a whole chapter on brakes.
very true.....and with that, if you are familiar with drum brakes, you can do anything with that manual, when kit comes to the brakes.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The only problem I had was removing the drum, as the shoes had worn a "groove" into the drum. By backing off the star, I was able to easily remove the drum and Dremel away the lip on the groove, which allowed me to adjust it just right before replacing the drum.

I replaced the shoes, but the stars and associated non-serviceable parts were worn, so I just got a "new" backing plates from someone who just upgraded to disks.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
Dneon95
Not Yet Wild

OK so the wheels are locked up without questions. They don't turn.. The only way I even got them to move was when I was taking the Center star nut off with a breaker bar. I still cannot get the drum off. I've hammered it, oiled it and heated it. It won't budge. I am sure the brakes are locked in there. Any suggestion on how to get it off? I know there is an adjustment screw In the back, but it's so rusted I can't find it. I am pretty good with brakes on cars, but I've never come across one that's this locked up.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Loosen brake cable at brake pedal, and disconnect cables at back of brakes.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:52 AM   #10
Dneon95
Not Yet Wild

I just pulled the pin and brake cable off of the arm. The cable is locked up. It has no movement when I push the pedal or when I adjust it at the junction. It's shot, permanently locked in the braking position, which is probably why the brake pads were stuck against the hub. I cant even reach the cable back to the arm now, unless the pads are completely spread. It looks like this was the problem the whole time. The actual pads don't look too bad. I ordered new cables. Thanks for the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO