lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #11
Heimmike83
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Looking to buy this cart..help identify and what to look b4 buying

Makes sense. Would it be worthwhile getting it at this price if it is 36v or wait to get a 48v? Does the voltage affect run time as well?
Heimmike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2017, 01:20 PM   #12
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

48v is more efficient. Higher voltage uses less amps for the same amount of work. However, 8v batteries generally have less capacity than 6v. So in my experience the range issue is kind of a wash but lots of variables. 48v carts are better at everything else.
Note that if you were to shop new carts from any of the major three factories: Club Car, EZGO or Yamaha you won't find any 36v carts.

The big issue to me when buying used electric carts is the batteries. My opinion is if the age of the batteries cannot be proven then you should assume they are worn out and the real cost of the cart is the selling price plus the cost of new batteries in your area.
In my area it is common to see carts for sale with "2 year old batteries". This is code for -- the batteries are really twice that old and on their last legs but they look pretty good and will run the cart long enough for a good test drive.

"Hope for the best but plan for the worst"
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #13
Heimmike83
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the reply above . I am going to go look at it tomorrow. I did have another question though. The seller told me it has newer napa batteries in it . He is unable to locate the date code . Do you know where I would look for that on those batteries ? Thank you
Heimmike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #14
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I do not. Napa batteries used to be made by Excide. The Napa 8146 was the premium battery equivalent to the Trojan 105. The Napa 8144 was a lessor capacity model. I don't know if any of this is still true. You could use Google to see if you can find out how Excide marks theirs.

I'm going to agree with kgsc that this cart has the "look" of an older model. Meaning pre 2001 and maybe as old as 1996. If the steering rack is mounted on top of the axle (in this case the steering column would be bolted to the floor with 4 bolts) then it is at least 2001.5, maybe newer. If the directional selector is a rocker switch on the dash--that would be a plus. Means sepex cart and is easier and cheaper to upgrade. If not, upgrade expense will be somewhat more.
From what you say, I don't have a good feeling about the batteries. In my experience people don't sell their cart shortly after putting new batteries in it. Usually they sell it when they feel the batteries are going bad and they don't want the expense of replacing them. So they unload it while it is still running good because it's hard to get rid of it not running. Bad batteries will survive a 5 minute test drive around the block. You really need to run it hard for an hour or take a digital volt meter with you if you know how to use it and what to look for.
The charger should be relatively large and heavy. Should say EZGO and powerwise on it somewhere. If it is small and light and plastic beware.

I don't know where you are but many places in the country equivalent carts but much newer, 10 years or more, are available in the same price range.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:50 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

When I buy a used car, the first thing I ask is, "why are you selling this?" my last car was original owner with all service records, and quickly replied, since graduation, my daughter had to have a convertible. That gave me comfort beyond my crawling all over it and test driving under all conditions. Different with battery carts, as they can go great, but only last a few miles.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO