lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #1
ufjaz
Not Yet Wild

Default Possible Rear Axle Bearing Bad?

Hi everybody, newbie here.

My sister's CC DS is a 2005 (?). The axle is a little noisy. After use, the driver rear wheel is hotter than the other. I jacked up the rear off the ground. When it is accelerated the driver side wheel initially moves, but then stops, while the passenger side keeps rotating. I can't detect any wobble movement when I try to shake it.

I'm guessing the driver side outer bearing is bad. I wonder what the likleyhood that the inner bearing is bad - or perhaps another issue. Any opinions?

Also, I could not find any how to's. I am mildly mechanical. Is this a garage project? Any suggestions? Thanks.
ufjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2017, 12:20 AM   #2
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Possible Rear Axle Bearing Bad?

It sounds like the axle bearing has seized.
Removing the axle is a garage project, but replacing the bearing is not.
It should be pressed on.
Once you have removed the axle, it is best to take it to a machine shop and have them r&r bearings.
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:04 AM   #3
ufjaz
Not Yet Wild

I'm assuming it is a "G" type axle. (I just figured out how to differentiate between "G" and "K".)

So I assume there is an internal snap ring to remove, and once done, the axle should just pull straight out.

I then take the axle assembly to a machine shop to press off the bearing and retainer. And have the previously purchased new bearing and the reused retainer pressed on.

Any recommendations on where to purchase the bearing and seal?

Install the seal in the axle tube and insert the axle assembly.

Is it that easy? What do you think - how much would the machine shop charge for the pressing ($25)? How much for a new axle assembly ($300)? What am I overlooking?
Old 07-01-2017, 01:33 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Yes, it is a "G" type axle assembly. Here is the diagram and the steps for removal. This is directly out my CC manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Axle Diagram.JPG (98.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Axle Step 1.JPG (90.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Axle Step 2.JPG (100.8 KB, 0 views)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:35 AM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Unfortunately we have no control over the picture formatting on the site. They get flipped sometimes, but just download them to your PC and they should be straight or you can rotate them and blow them up.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:29 AM   #6
ufjaz
Not Yet Wild

Many thanks. Any chance in getting page 24-3?
Old 07-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #7
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Are you sure it is a bearing? It sounds like it could be a dragging brake to me. That would make the wheel hot and also stop the wheel with the dragging brake while the other keeps moving because as the brake shoe heats up it drags even more. This would show up as an initial movement on that wheel but then the wheel stops.

A noisy bearing is usually just that - noisy all the time but rarely drags enough to stop the wheel.

You can check it by backing off the brake on that wheel by a number of clicks and testing it again with the wheels off the ground. If that wheel keeps turning then the brake is probably the reason for that stoppage and you should adjust both brakes.

That doesn't mean that you don't also have a bearing on its way out. So if the noise is still there then look at the bearings. You can also test for a bad (or badly adjusted) bearing by jacking up the car then hold the wheel top and bottom and rock it to see if you have any movement.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Unfortunately we have no control over the picture formatting on the site. They get flipped sometimes, but just download them to your PC and they should be straight or you can rotate them and blow them up.
If you turn your camera/phone the right way when you take the pic. It will post so you can see it
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:25 AM   #9
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Try this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Axle Diagram.JPG (112.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Axle Step 1.JPG (103.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Axle Step 2.JPG (114.5 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
If you turn your camera/phone the right way when you take the pic. It will post so you can see it
That's the thing, it was the right way....

And on my PC and phone they were portrait style, but after I posted them they went landscape.....

Tags
axle bearing, rear axle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car