lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2018, 07:12 AM   #11
rogerlizotte
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replacing RXV Bearing Encoder

Okay, thank you guys. I've ordered the bearing encoder and have the cart ready for replacement. The repair manual and this video: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQnVFKiterw> show that pulling the motor is not needed so I'm going to do a little more research. It sure looks like I can get it done easily enough without pulling the motor. I'll let y'all know, this forum is great, I wish I was more techno savvy.
rogerlizotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #12
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

RXVs used two different sensors that are often called 'encoder'. Curtis RXVs (2013+) have an inductive sensor that is easy to get at, right on top of the motor that is held in with a T30 torx screw. when it fails, the handheld will show 'Encoder Fault' or 'Speed Sensor Fault.' this sensor does the same job as the encoder did. The bearing encoder was used on older RXVs (2008-2012) and was inside the motor--this one requires pulling the motor (and taking it apart) to replace.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #13
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ever notice how easy it is to maintain a cart when there is no body on the frame???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #14
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

That's how we do a majority of our light kits, lift kits, etc. We get cars from leases and around here they're literally ran into the ground so we tear them down, have bodies painted custom colors, paint the frames after washing/degreasing them, then do whatever maintenance or accessories we need to before putting everything back together.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #15
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That’s how my cart started life - as 2010 white fleet cart. It’s now Missouri Tiger black & gold on 20.5 in diameter tires, and can run the speed limit on the roads in our golf / lake community.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #16
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Our most popular seller (as we've built three of 'em and still get requests) is pearl white, with Cadillac logos, chrome 14" wheels/tires, round waterproof radio, speakers with LEDs that change colors mounted into speaker pods, and turn signal kit, and LED head/tail lamps.

We also got one lifted, and fabricated a way to use an Escalade grille with a Precedent bumper to fill the gap and act as a bottom mount, and gave it Escalade emblems, but with same color/options otherwise.

Overall, the RXV is our most popular electric cart, mainly because it doesn't lose speed going over hills. And it just looks cool to folks.

Our most popular gas car is the EFI Yamaha Drive 2, and we are a new Yamaha dealer. Only 2018 cars we see/sell are those.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #17
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did the radio with the LED speakers also, and added LED Strips underneath for flashy colors on the road at night.

From the for what it’s worth department, my lovely wife want’s a Minnie Mouse themed cart (with all due respect to Disney and Mickey Mouse). So I'm looking for another RXV for my next winter project.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #18
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Replacing RXV Bearing Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
It's back-breaking heavy, and if there's a back seat kit installed (always is for me) then you might need to be as limber as a feline, but other than that, not hard. Just pay attention to the wires going to the controller, labeled V, W, and U. Never hook them to the wrong terminals on the controller during reinstallation.

Bored today I guess.

“Back-breaking heavy, and if there’s a back seat kit installed.”

I removed the base of the back-seat kit (4 bigger bolts), then attached a rachet strap across the seat back mounts, and somewhat tightened. Then I took a second rachet strap, wrapped it around the motor, and hung it off the 1st rachet strap. Tightened it enough to just support the weight of the motor. I then unscrewed it from the axle. There was enough movement in the strap to slide the motor spline out of the gear housing and swing it back toward me. I then slid it out of the strap and carried it to my workbench. (Then had a drink of my beer.)

On my bench, I removed the Allen bolts and replaced the encoder; then put it all back together.

I then laid the motor back on the rachet strap, and put the whole thing back together.

(Then I proceeded to run over my socket wrench set, and beer bottle, testing my repair... The beer bottle didn't survive.....)

No sore back, & no feline contortions. I did have to put my rear seat back on, but it is fairly well balanced and stayed put once I sat it back on the cart. Yes the back seat assembly weighs about the same as the motor but at least I'm standing up vs. horizontal and between plastic & steel.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The spilled beer will be mourned. Was survived by 4 brothers, preceded by 1 brother.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:39 PM   #20
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

If only the back seat was all that was in the way. We got tons that come in that have radio boxes, or custom wiring for custom lights (auto zone specials, with the infamous 'create-a-harness' involving a spider web of wires, and tons of screw on wire nuts) that i really don't feel like piecing back together just to make it easier to get at the motor. I just grin and bear it.

The last one was a lifted car with not just a back seat but a 900lb toolbox mounted to the roof supports. No way in heck was i attempting to remove that!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO