lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
Caney
Not Yet Wild

Default Rxv electric brake don't work when off

My electric brake works while running but not when powered off. I'm new to the golf cart world so please describe where to look for parts that need trouble shooting
Caney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rxv electric brake don't work when off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caney View Post
My electric brake works while running but not when powered off. I'm new to the golf cart world so please describe where to look for parts that need trouble shooting
The RXV motor brake is a parking brake, which requires 48 volts from the battery to unlock (via an internal regulator and switching FET in the controller), so it will not function with the key off. It is a parking brake only. If it is not locked up when the key is off, then you need to replace it. Actual braking during driving is regenerative braking using the motor itself, which also does nothing when the key is off.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
Caney
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Bob, I want to make sure I understand. The pedal brake works fine when the key is on and I am moving, when I stop and turn the key off the brake does not work and the cart roles. If I understand u correctly when the cart is in operation and u push the brake pedal to stop it is actually the motor stopping it. When the key is off that is when the actual brake is suppose to engage. Are there any switches or adjustments that need to be looked at before replacing the parking brake
Old 08-06-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caney View Post
Thanks Bob, I want to make sure I understand. The pedal brake works fine when the key is on and I am moving, when I stop and turn the key off the brake does not work and the cart roles. If I understand u correctly when the cart is in operation and u push the brake pedal to stop it is actually the motor stopping it. When the key is off that is when the actual brake is suppose to engage. Are there any switches or adjustments that need to be looked at before replacing the parking brake
No, if it rolls when the cart is stopped and the key is off, that would be a defective motor brake. It should be tripping a motor brake error, unless someone went in there with a programmer/handset and disabled the motor brake test. A dealer may do that if they can't figure out why the motor brake test is failing and everything else passes test

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Caney
Not Yet Wild

Gotcha, thanks again for your help
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO