lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #11
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium packs source

Seems like cobalt resources are in play.

http://stock.report/the-powerful-mus...ign=OB_BOLT_WL

Some highlights:

Cobalt gives lithium its power jolt

Lithium-ion batteries have already proven ideal for powering everything from smartphones to entire homes.
With their recharging capabilities, the batteries are particularly effective in the fight against environmental and climate issues.

The giant demand for lithium is being driven by the exponential demand for EVs. Major car companies like Tesla, Nissan, Toyota, BMW, General Motors, and more are pushing for significant advancements in EV technology.

Cobalt is the most important metal for increasing the energy density of lithium-ion cathodes. And it’s not just EVs; cobalt is crucial to the lithium batteries used for smartphones, laptops, mobile device, and power walls.

With the push for EVs, the need for lithium-ion batteries will continue to increase exponentially. The next step is to get enough cobalt to meet this demand.

“The US and China have identified cobalt as a strategic metal and are stockpiling cobalt.” – USGS 2016

“While the occasional [analyst] questions the availability of lithium to satisfy soaring demand from the battery industry, everybody has overlooked or ignored the most critical mineral constraint – cobalt. It’s a truly gargantuan challenge. A gigarisk!”
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #12
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

lithium-ion batteries 48v to 2kWh (42Ah), ideal for electric conversion. The rest of the wording speaks to savings for members of the CAPE (Labour Union)
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #13
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Cobalt is a major factor in the high density lithium cells risk of bursting into flames or exploding.

That canadian site was peddling what looked to be a 42 Amp/Hour 48V pack of cells. Probably used Nissan Leaf cells.

This is the seller I bought my 100 A/H cells from. He's a member here.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/barbjb/m.html
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #14
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Cobalt is a major factor in the high density lithium cells risk of bursting into flames or exploding.

That canadian site was peddling what looked to be a 42 Amp/Hour 48V pack of cells. Probably used Nissan Leaf cells.

This is the seller I bought my 100 A/H cells from. He's a member here.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/barbjb/m.html
Yeah was just reading up on Cobalt. There's a run on it now with the US and China stockpiling it.

We actually have a city in Ontario called Cobalt that was built on Silver but had a good stash of Cobalt too. Was **** near a ghost town but is now drawing a great many investors looking to cash in.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...g-back-to-life
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:03 PM   #15
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Very true, the older chemistries have thier safety issues.

I think the newer Lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) is the safer choice
and is highly recommended by many members here.

I found these, not sure about stock but the specs and cost seems reasonable.
http://www.electriccarpartscompany.c...tic-EV-Battery
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #16
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystar57 View Post
Very true, the older chemistries have thier safety issues.

I think the newer Lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) is the safer choice
and is highly recommended by many members here.

I found these, not sure about stock but the specs and cost seems reasonable.
http://www.electriccarpartscompany.c...tic-EV-Battery

Only downside to those is they are 3.2v nominal so a 16 cell pack would be needed to be about the same as a 14cell leaf pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #17
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

One of the upsides of the 3.2 cells is if I understand correctly is that they can be recharged with FLA battery chargers. I don't know if that is correct I'm just putting it out to see if anybody else has heard or can confirm that. The voltages seem to match what my DPI puts out.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #18
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
One of the upsides of the 3.2 cells is if I understand correctly is that they can be recharged with FLA battery chargers. I don't know if that is correct I'm just putting it out to see if anybody else has heard or can confirm that. The voltages seem to match what my DPI puts out.
I prefer to buy new cells that are closely matched in capacity. I know they cost more, but I don't want used leaf cells. They can vary in capacity depending upon their prior usage history. Of course a good BMS helps to balance a bit of variance.

Some use FLA chargers. Some newer DPI Accusense chargers have a programmable position for custom charge settings. I bought a charger designed for my cells and BMS.

If you use a BMS to control turning the charger and loads on and off, you will be good. I bought a Chargery 24 port BMS and 1500 watt charger. It'll cut the load to prevent overdischarge, and shut off the charger to prevent overcharge. They have a 16 port that is just right for LiFePO4. I bought my BMS and charger from the guy I bought my 100 A/H cells from. I connected all 48 of my cells in parallel and left them that way to bottom balance for 6 weeks.

Bob
Old 03-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #19
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Bob, would you consider 100ah to be minimum size ?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:48 AM   #20
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Bob, would you consider 100ah to be minimum size ?
That depends upon your usage. For my RXV chassis road car build, my desired range between charges required 200 A/H minimum in case the charging system failed while I am travelling.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/road-...-road-car.html

For golf course use, you can probably get by with 50-60 A/H and be ok. I use a reworked 2008 RXV to visit neighbors that are many miles away, and to drive up to the top of my property and back.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ther-cart.html

I own the ridgeline behind my house. Some rugged terrain to get up there. 100 A/H will handle that for my usage. Here's a couple of pictures. One from the road looking up the trail towards the top, and one from the top looking down the trail towards the road. It's a 350' climb in the 1/4 mile to the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-11-16_15-00-30_997.jpg (238.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-11-16_15-14-14_418.jpg (481.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO