lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Question RXV Disconnect Controller to Trace Wire Harness?

Hey again. 2012 RXV. I'm looking first to get the brake lights working and eventually add turn signals. The Purple and Red connectors for the relay are present in the dash, unused. I discovered what looks like an after market wiring harness for headlights, and would like to trace/sound out where it all goes. I've got one of those 9V sounders from HF, and plan to disconnect the controller so as not to expose it to any voltage on the harness. Good idea/bad idea?
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Default Re: RXV Disconnect Controller to Trace Wire Harness?

WHOA ......

red and purple connectors under cupholder.... 99% of light kits DO NOT USE THESE CONNECTORS.

trying to use them could easily result in controller failure ..high $$$$$ mistake.

if your wire harness is upgrade-able to brake lights and turn signals, it should have a large white connector under cupholder.

this would plug into turn signal harness(with turn signal stalk)
there is usually a horn and brake switch connector pre-wired into upgrade-able harness.

send pic of wire harness under cupholder please.

please do not attempt to use/check/(&^%^&% with 2 spade connector wires in cupholder area.... they are DFW unless you know what you are doing.,
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #3
swm63
Gone Wild

Buggie,
Listen close to HiTech. He, Bob Boyce, and cgtech are our resident RXV experts.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
WHOA ......

red and purple connectors under cupholder.... 99% of light kits DO NOT USE THESE CONNECTORS.

trying to use them could easily result in controller failure ..high $$$$$ mistake.

if your wire harness is upgrade-able to brake lights and turn signals, it should have a large white connector under cupholder.

this would plug into turn signal harness(with turn signal stalk)
there is usually a horn and brake switch connector pre-wired into upgrade-able harness.

send pic of wire harness under cupholder please.

please do not attempt to use/check/(&^%^&% with 2 spade connector wires in cupholder area.... they are DFW unless you know what you are doing.,
Oh gosh no, from my understanding these power/control a relay which I do not have. IIR, the brake lights are controlled by the controller which powers/triggers the relay, not by a physical switch at the brake pedal. Is this correct? This being the case, aftermarket add-ons not attached to the OEM harness would be physically separate from the system, and powered by 12V battery or reducer and run via physical switches and the rear brake lights use the new harness and disconnected from the OEM harness. Correct?

Yes, there is a large white 9 pin (?) connector far back in the dash that is plugged into something (front lights?), but I'll look again to see where it goes to.

I did find 2 wires under the floorboard labeled "brake switch" coming out of a harness. Where should the horn wires be located?

From my reading here, the controller can be easily fried, which is why I was asking if it is OK to physically disconnect it while I traced these wires or do some tidying up.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by swm63 View Post
Buggie,
Listen close to HiTech. He, Bob Boyce, and cgtech are our resident RXV experts.
Yes, I've spent hours reading the threads. The TXT was so much easier!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #6
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, gonna continue follow up, with clear pics to follow.

Yes, there is a 9-pin white connector in the dash as well as a secondary harness that fits it. Someone has done surgery to the main harness and to the secondary harness to switch/power the headlights (which do have amber turn signals that are not active), namely, RED to the switch, then the RED/WHITE main harness wire as the distro power to the lamps, with WHITE as common returns.

Before I post the pics and description of what was done, does anyone have the wiring schematic for the 2012 RXV with Curtis controller, with the wire colors at that 9-pin connector as well as how the accessory harness is wired? I'd like to understand what should be to better understand what was done. I will make no changes to any wiring without consulting here first, because it all still works...
Old 05-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Search "Curtis Rxv troubleshooting guide". It will have cart harness, but won't have the lights, since they aren't an Ezgo product.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #8
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes I have that schematic. It is missing that 9-pin connector harness. Is that harness specifically for accessories such as lights, horn, brake lights?
Old 05-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggieman18 View Post
Yes I have that schematic. It is missing that 9-pin connector harness. Is that harness specifically for accessories such as lights, horn, brake lights?
Yes, it allows the factory accessory harness to interface to the carts main harness.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, I'll have some pics up tonight. I'm thinking that with the correct secondary harness, all that splicing into the main harness to run headlights was unnecessary, or he could have used the voltage reducer on a separate circuit. I'll show you what I have.

It also looks like dude had the switched lead for the voltage reducer connected to the small terminal on the solenoid. This should be on the NEG side terminal of the solenoid, correct?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO