lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
CImpala95
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 08 Precedent Intermittently Won't Go

Good morning, everyone.

Like the title says, my 08 Precedent won't run intermittently. 48v (4x12v), Excel, regen, SN starts with PH08. A little back-story:

I charged up the batteries individually throughout the winter as I do every year, then reconnect them back together. I did that last week. On Friday, I put it in the camper, and hit the road. We set up camp and everything worked great the first day, until that evening. I plugged in the charger as I do every night, but the charger would not engage. 48.9v across the battery bank. No relay click from the charger.

I read through the forums, and it sounds like the OBC is to blame. All testing points to that being the culprit. Of course, I was out on the campground so I couldn't really dig into it deeply there. I decided to just get a different charger and bypass the OBC altogether, since it would appear they are a common failure point. (I have not ordered anything yet)

Saturday rolls around and I drive the cart at a limited capacity. Maybe only a quarter as much as I usually would. It was still running great. That night, I pull into the camp site to park it for the night, and it died. It would not move at all. I heard the solenoid clicking on but then right back off - quicker than I'm used to, then it stopped clicking at all. I pushed the cart into its spot and went inside. I came out later and tried it again, but there was no solenoid click. Batteries still measured good - right around 48 volts still. Lights and accessories were working. Charger still would not engage.

I was worried all night thinking about how I would possibly get this thing up the ramp into my toy hauler. It's a pretty steep ramp, and that cart is heavy. Oh boy.

Research went late into the night. I found another thread where I can jump the blue and white wires to bypass the OBC from locking out the controller. This sounds like it may be my problem. I went out Sunday morning intending to do just this, but first I tried to move it. It worked. Drove it up the ramp. I JUST got it up into the camper and it died again. Won't move. No solenoid click.

I get home and push it out of the camper. That evening I went out and drove it up to the garage and it ran fine.

Everyone talks about bypassing the OBC for aftermarket chargers. That's easy enough. Is it likely that my OBC is bad in such a way that it is also locking out my controller? Or does it sound more like the solenoid itself? I'm curious which way to go - new OBC and I should be back in business, or new charger and bypass the OBC for both charging and the controller?

One more thing - a couple weeks ago when I first put the batteries in, I drove it through the yard and it stopped moving. The solenoid would click and it would start to move ever so slightly, then it would stop again. I pushed it to the house, cleaned up all the battery connectors and wire terminals and it hasn't done that since. I'm thinking that is unrelated, but definitely worth mentioning. It hadn't ever done that before either, and hasn't done that since.

Of course, I leave Friday for the next camping trip so I'd like to get something going ASAP! I might have to wire in a quick bypass switch in case I get stranded.

Let me know your thoughts please. As always, thanks for the help!
CImpala95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 08 Precedent Intermittently Won't Go

1) Did it actually charge all the way up when you fully bypassed the OBC? It should be at 50.9vdc full charged pack. (Of course bypassing the OBC means you have to manually watch the charge)

2) Too many things happening just to be "only" your OBC, and if it was fully bypassed, including the controller lockout, it would not be doing what you describe.

3) When the main solenoid will not engage, are you hearing a click from under the floorboard which comes from the MCOR? (and of course key on and in Fwd)

As it stands now, if the charger ran when bypassed, then yes your OBC is bad, but that is not taking out your solenoid so answer the questions above and we will try to help you trouble shoot it but it is imperative that we speak the same terminology and perform each test as requested. (Could be MCOR, solenoid, Controller, etc)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
CImpala95
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply. Here's where we stand:

1) I did not allow it to fully charge, as I was not available to watch the voltage for the duration. I watched up to 48.9 volts and called it good enough to get through the weekend. I can plug it back in now though and watch it today.

2) I haven't tried the controller lockout bypass yet, but I intend to next time it stops moving. Question is, would it be advisable to do this bypass long term along with the charging bypass with a different charger? Assuming the OBC is the source of all my problems, that is.

3) During tonight's test drive, hopefully it will stop working and I will listen for the MCOR click.

Again, I appreciate the help. You guys are awesome!
Old 05-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CImpala95 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Here's where we stand:

1) I did not allow it to fully charge, as I was not available to watch the voltage for the duration. I watched up to 48.9 volts and called it good enough to get through the weekend. I can plug it back in now though and watch it today. That will be fine, but it is not keeping it from running right now

2) I haven't tried the controller lockout bypass yet, but I intend to next time it stops moving. Question is, would it be advisable to do this bypass long term along with the charging bypass with a different charger? Assuming the OBC is the source of all my problems, that is. The OBC is not controlling the main solenoid unless the "lockout" is erratic as it should not come in if it has recently charged or been moved. You can jumper the blue and white wires temporarily to make sure. It may be an issue from the 48vdc + & - at the small post or a failing solenoid. Many possibilities right now

3) During tonight's test drive, hopefully it will stop working and I will listen for the MCOR click. It is a manual click and you will hear it at anytime you depress the Go Pedal.
Red notes above.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
CImpala95
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Good news and bad news.

GOOD NEWS: I fixed the charger and the OBC is working properly. Found that the red wire from the charger had nearly broken off at the positive battery terminal. Fixed that up and the charger kicked right on. It is currently charging. YES!

BAD NEWS: that means the OBC is likely not the cause of my intermittent no-power condition so I'm back to square one.

I depressed the go pedal and I do hear a manual click from the MCOR. Of course, everything is working properly right this minute though. Solenoid sounds loud and healthy.

Question. If the batteries discharge below a certain level, will the car cut power completely? Shouldn't the yellow battery light illuminate before that happens? I've never seen that light come on before.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CImpala95 View Post
Good news and bad news.

GOOD NEWS: I fixed the charger and the OBC is working properly. Found that the red wire from the charger had nearly broken off at the positive battery terminal. Fixed that up and the charger kicked right on. It is currently charging. YES! Great!

BAD NEWS: that means the OBC is likely not the cause of my intermittent no-power condition so I'm back to square one. But we knew that was not dropping the solenoid out riding along....

I depressed the go pedal and I do hear a manual click from the MCOR. Of course, everything is working properly right this minute though. Solenoid sounds loud and healthy. And we will look further into it if it happens again

Question. If the batteries discharge below a certain level, will the car cut power completely? Shouldn't the yellow battery light illuminate before that happens? I've never seen that light come on before. At the voltages you stated, the light wouldn't came on and definitely not while you had the OBC bypassed as it triggers the light.
If it happens again, do not do anything until you check the 48vdc + & - inputs to the two (2) small posts on your solenoid. That should be checked with the key on, in Fwd and Go Pedal depressed just enough to get activation. Be careful and have nothing in front of you since you will possibly have it move on you if it engages while testing. If you are close to home and can quickly jack it up that would be great!
Old 05-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
CImpala95
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update:

So far so good since I repaired the charger connection. Cart is running fine. I attached leads to the solenoid terminals and mounted my multi-meter on the dash so I can see it in real time. Hopefully my troubles are over, but I'll know better after the long weekend.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #8
CImpala95
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Another question. I have owned this Club Car for 4 years now, and never once have I ever seen the battery light on the dash illuminate. Yesterday during its charge, I unplugged the charger from AC to see if the light would flash, for in the manual it states:

• The battery warning light will repeatedly illuminate for 10 seconds, at 4 second intervals, during a charge cycle (with the DC plug still connected) if AC power to the charger is interrupted. The light will go out when AC power is restored.

Mine did not illuminate.

If I'm reading this correctly, my light DEFINITELY should have been flashing during this test, right? I'm thinking about doing that again tonight with my volt meter on it just to see, but that could be a useful feature to have at the bigger campgrounds as my battery pack is now at the 4 year old mark.

Last edited by CImpala95; 05-24-2018 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 05-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #9
CImpala95
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I think I answered my own question.

I had bank volts at the light when I unplugged the charger from AC. When I plugged it back in, it went to zero volts. I checked resistance through the light and it was open. Pretty confident I have a bad light, which means that my whole problem last weekend could have stemmed from discharged batteries, and I just didn't know it. When I checked the voltages, it was always the next day so they could have come up a bit, giving me a false good reading. It all makes sense in my head.

Anyway, I'll order a new light but will continue with the troubleshooting steps already outlined if it gives me any fits this weekend.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:35 PM   #10
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The light on the dash is not a normal light bulb. I think it is a l e d light. At any rate it would not keep your cart from charging.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car