lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default New Acquisition

Yesterday I closed the deal on a 2018 Nissan Leaf 40 kWhr battery pack. The car was in a wreck at 3,749 miles and declared totalled by the insurance company. Prior to removal of the pack, SOH (state of health) was documented to be 111%. As we were loading the pack in my tow vehicle, another guy showed up that wanted to buy the pack and was a bit upset that it had already been sold. He offered me $10K on the spot for the pack and I declined. I was told that this pack was the only available 2018 pack in the country. Now some information...

Each module contains 8 cells of 58.3 A/Hr capacity at a nominal 3.65 Volts. Here are some photos to start out with. More to follow after the pack is cracked open.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Entire Pack.jpg (61.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg FuseHolder.jpg (21.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Connectors.jpg (66.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Right Vent.png (156.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Label.jpg (33.4 KB, 0 views)
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: New Acquisition

Nice Bob!

Will this pack be going in your roadster build?
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #3
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nice!! You won’t have any problems selling the extra modules to other members here. Unless you actually plan to use the whole pack, but that seems a bit overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Nice Bob!

Will this pack be going in your roadster build?
No, the Bandolero is getting the 200 A/H pack of GBS cells. No hard plans yet for the 2018 Leaf modules. I bought the pack for the science of tearing it down and checking out the guts. I may use some for building a replacement pack for my daily driver. It has 38 NiMh packs of six 7.5A cells in series for only 2.3 kWHr. I would just have to adapt the original NiMh BMS to work with the Lithium pack. It does not check individual cells, it checks cells in pairs.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Racer View Post
Nice!! You won’t have any problems selling the extra modules to other members here. Unless you actually plan to use the whole pack, but that seems a bit overkill.
Yea, I thought what is left over might make a good pack for someones RXV or TXT. We'll see what the teardown reveals. The sealer used to seal the lid of the pack is still fresh and goey, so having trouble getting it apart still. The guy helping with the teardown wants me to go out and buy an air chisel... yea right! I pretty much wiped out my bank account just buying this darned thing. Maybe I shoulda taken the guys offer yesterday! But where is the fun in that? LOL
Old 06-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #6
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Its a fun experiment disassembling the complete battery. I used a couple pry bars and lots of sharp blades to cut through the sealer. Once opened I worked on isolating modules to reduce the voltage I could possibly get zapped with.
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Bob,

Congratulations on your purchase ! I look forward to following your tear down of this pack.

Here is some interesting information on the 2018 Nissan Leaf Packs: https://pushevs.com/2018/01/29/2018-...ry-real-specs/

What is the maximum continuous discharge current for the 2018 Nissan Leaf cells?
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:37 PM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by agpfl View Post
Its a fun experiment disassembling the complete battery. I used a couple pry bars and lots of sharp blades to cut through the sealer. Once opened I worked on isolating modules to reduce the voltage I could possibly get zapped with.
Before it started getting dark, I went out to check on the progress. He had only managed to open about 6 inches of seam then gave up and went to bed. The sealer is really gummy, still goey inside from being so new. It does not cut easy, it sticks to blades.

I took a welders chipping hammer, used it as a chisel and hammered on the point with a 2 Lb sledge. Within 10 minutes, I had the connector end of the top cut loose at the seam. Mosquitos were getting bad so I stopped and moved the ambulance to its parking spot. Looks like I'll have to get out there tomorrow and work on it myself. I was hoping there would be some intermodule bus bars in the 2018 pack that I could use to get that other pack finished. At least one would be nice. LOL
Old 06-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Interesting. What ambulance?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:00 AM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Interesting. What ambulance?
I bought a 2002 Ford E450 ambulance from Dare County, NC on auction a few years ago. I stripped out the ambulance box and installed a rack on the roof covered with 1235 Watts of solar panels. I attached 4 of the auction photos, and one photo of the solar array on the roof.

I use it as a hauler, and to tow trailers. The Leaf pack is so wide that it barely fits between the rear wheel wells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 337_519_6.jpg (48.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 337_519_5.jpg (62.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 337_519_4.jpg (46.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 337_519_2.jpg (70.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Solar Array Front View.jpg (187.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO