lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #1
abretsch
Not Yet Wild

Default Solenoid Not Clicking

All,
Need some help troubleshooting a 1994 Ezgo Series Cart.
Scottyb provided some new toys: Sr48500 Alltrax controller, HD solenoid, and a HD F&R. I supplied new 8volt batteries and we are off to the races.
I have everything installed but with the key on I get no response forward or reverse when pressing the throttle. When I connect my computer to the alltrax, it reports nothing other than its receiving 48.2 volts. No errors reported.
The controller blinks 4 green lights repeatedly. I do NOT hear a click from the solenoid.

The kit did not come with a diode or resistor so I used a diode I had from a previous alltrax installation and the resistor off the OEM solenoid. See pics.
I've checked the wiring diagrams over and over and I don't think I have anything wrong but since it doesn't work I must have something wrong!

Any help is appreciated!

Alan...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1425.jpg (107.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1426.jpg (123.0 KB, 0 views)
abretsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid Not Clicking

The SR controller is being powered up by your laptop via the USB cable, which may be skewing the symptoms a bit.

What is the voltage on the solenoid's small terminal with the red wires attached when the pedal is pressed?

I cannot see the labeling of the terminals on the microswitches in the picture of the F/R assembly. The wire from the reed switch, or reed switch bypass ought to land on the C (Common) terminal of MS-2 and be jumpered to the C terminal of MS-4. The output of both switches ought to be landed on the NC (Normally Closed) terminals.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Check to see if you have 48v (+) power coming into the F&R microswitch (ms) on the driver's side. If yes put the cart in gear and try the pedal. If no click see if you have 48v between the 2 small solenoid posts when the pedal is down. If no check the key switch is working. If yes check to see the pedal box ms is working.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

If that is the Alltrax with a fan built into it (looks like it) ditch the pre-charge resistor from the solenoid. my manual for those says it's got an internal pre-charge circuit and specifically says NOT to use a resistor. I made that mistake and had a similar symptom (except I had backup beeper and signs of life)

Quote:

"When in doubt, Read the instructions"

~ old UNIX computer error
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
abretsch
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies.
I have 48 volts from the small solenoid post with the red wires. See my pic of the F&R.
I have 48 volts on the F&R ms drivers side. In fact both of the blue wires on the drivers side ms have 48 volts. one of the blue wires goes direct to the battery pack and one goes to the key switch. I'm wondering if that's wrong? Also the green connector in J1 of the Alltrax doesn't have a wire attached, should that go to the key switch?

So, when pressing the pedal, I get NO voltage across the small solenoid posts.
No click from the solenoid when pressing the pedal.

Thanks again for your help.

Alan...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1433.jpg (97.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by abretsch; 06-11-2018 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: I stated something incorrect
Old 06-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't know how much difference it makes, but the precharge resistor is for a 36v cart. You should have a 470 ohm resistor or none at all.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Just to clear the air... You must have a precharge resistor on the solenoid for any SR series controller but, not for the XCT sepex controller. This cart is series so the resistor is mandatory. I believe the 250 ohm resistor will work just fine.

So yes the (+) power from battery to F&R switch (ms) to key is correct.
From the key it goes to another ms in the pedal box and from there it goes to the solenoid small post (+). What commonly happens is the installer puts the diode on backwards or otherwise creates a short in the solenoid activation circuit, and when the pedal is first depressed the ms in the pedal box blows like a fuse. Trace the red wire out of the pedal box and see if it is working.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #8
abretsch
Not Yet Wild

Thank you Scotty. I will look for the fuse. Sounds like something the installer could have done
Old 06-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by abretsch View Post
Thank you Scotty. I will look for the fuse. Sounds like something the installer could have done
There is no fuse, he said that the pedal box microswitch blows, like a fuse. You'llneed to change out the microswitch, and check your other microswitches. You'll need to check your wiring, and the diode that is at the small terminals of your solenoid. If that diode is installed backwards, or shorted out, it'll keep burning out microswitches.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:25 PM   #10
abretsch
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the clarification Bob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO