lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
ycis
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Rebuilding/upgrading a 98 txt - where to start!

Hi all, glad I found an active forum for golf cart rebuilding/modding questions!

recently took possession of what I believe to be a 98 ezgo txt that had sat for nearly a decade. oddly enough it still took a charge and ran (on and off the trailer anyway) after filling the batteries with water since they were all completely dry.

anyway, ill respect the rules of no tech questions in here and begin reading/posting in other forums, but if anyone has a useful link to the most common "mods" or upgrades to a txt id love to start there to see what my options are!

I plan on taking it completely apart and redoing just about everything given its age and condition...i normally work on old cars...so how bad can a golf cart be? =)
ycis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
ycis
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Rebuilding/upgrading a 98 txt - where to start!

Just recently took posession of what I believe to be a 98 txt that had been sitting in a garage for nearly a decade unused/unmoved/uncharged...

oddly enough after airing up the tires, filling the batteries with water (all were completely empty) and hooking up the charger..it actually took a charge and I was able to get it up on and off the trailer.

i plan on taking it mostly apart and rebuilding/upgrading it and was simply looking for options/directions.

spent most of the evening going thru the stickies and they are a great help! I am sure ill use those guides a good deal once I get it apart.

since I know the first goal is likely to be to upgrade the suspension (which unless im just extra fat...I believe to be totally shot). do the lift kits available replace the leafs? or are they just blocks?

are there kits out there that are preferred over others? I dont mind buying from a supporting vendor, but im sure all vendors sell everything from cheap chinese junk to gold plated bling type items aye?

I had planned on waiting to choose a tire/wheel combo after I completed redoing the suspension just to see what would actually fit under it.

I guess other than that, i was really looking for a "so you just bought an ezgo...heres all the common mods" type thread or post if something like that exists?

I dont plan on drag racing it or going crazy, i just live in a gated community that allows golf carts on the streets, so a moderate boost in performance is my goal so im at least able to keep up with 25-30mph traffic.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: new to me 98 ezgo

ycis.......not sure whether your cart is a SERIES, DCS, or PDS Drive.....verify that first, and when asking questions. tell the folks there first the year, make and drive system, that way they can answer your questions or send you in the right direction the first time. take a look at this and it will get you there.

ezgoguide.jpg

if you have a SERIES cart.....you can look at this thread http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...tal-build.html

or if you have a DCS cart take a look at this one http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...9-txt-dcs.html

if its a PDS....its pretty much the same as a DCS.....just a few things different.

IH AND BTW.....Congrats on the new ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives’, husbands, girlfriend’s and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
ycis
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

looking at the stickies, i believe it is a SERIES cart based on the fwd/reverse handle? ill go out and snap some pictures here in a bit.

thank you.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

WELL if it has the F & R handle by your lag....its either a SERIES cart or a DCS....either way both of the threads above I linked were 100% rebuilds from the ground up...
Old 06-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

welcome to the addiction
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
ycis
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

oh nice, i just saw you edited your reply! will read those this evening!

thank you!
Old 06-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rebuilding/upgrading a 98 txt - where to start!

Tell us what drive type you have.

From Stickies:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rebuilding/upgrading a 98 txt - where to start!

ok.....just in case you didn't go back to the intro section.....you made mention the F&R switch was or you think its at your knee....

seeing as how you are going to do a complete rebuild....if you find you have a SERIES cart, look at this thread. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...tal-build.html

and if you have a DCS take a look at this one. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...9-txt-dcs.html
Old 06-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
ycis
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

few attahed photos that lead me to believe

1. its a 98

2. its a Series cart

3. the leafs are shot?

(anything significant or indicative about the rear end noticed from the photo?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg serialcart.jpg (104.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg controlcart.jpg (170.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rearcart.jpg (146.2 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO