lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
ducowti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default LSV electrics question

Apologies if this thread is misplaced, but I don't see a more appropriate forum. A friend's LSV (not sure the make) is reading full charge on charger and the cart's battery meter. I haven't put eyes on it yet, but he reports the cart doesn't go and nothing is getting power.

Are LSVs wired same as my EZ Go PDS TXT?

Thx for replies/suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting.
ducowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: LSV electrics question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducowti View Post
Apologies if this thread is misplaced, but I don't see a more appropriate forum. A friend's LSV (not sure the make) is reading full charge on charger and the cart's battery meter. I haven't put eyes on it yet, but he reports the cart doesn't go and nothing is getting power.

Are LSVs wired same as my EZ Go PDS TXT?

Thx for replies/suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting.
It depends upon the brand of LSV as to the location of the thread. The E-Z-GO 2Five is literally an RXV golf cart with a VIN number, DOT legal suspension, lights, safety equipment, and other accessories. There are numerous LSVs out there on the market, and I designed a few of them for their manufacturers. Most newer LSVs are AC Drive like the RXV. Not Series, or SepEx like your PDS TXT. AC drive allows a greater range of flexability in speed/torque over a wider range of speeds, and better efficiency.

As for troubleshooting, we would need to know more about the LSV (Make/Model/Year), and then the moderators may need to move this thread to another catagory based upon that information. Either way, there are a lot of people here that are willing to try to help.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
ducowti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
It depends upon the brand of LSV as to the location of the thread. The E-Z-GO 2Five is literally an RXV golf cart with a VIN number, DOT legal suspension, lights, safety equipment, and other accessories. There are numerous LSVs out there on the market, and I designed a few of them for their manufacturers. Most newer LSVs are AC Drive like the RXV. Not Series, or SepEx like your PDS TXT. AC drive allows a greater range of flexability in speed/torque over a wider range of speeds, and better efficiency.

As for troubleshooting, we would need to know more about the LSV (Make/Model/Year), and then the moderators may need to move this thread to another catagory based upon that information. Either way, there are a lot of people here that are willing to try to help.

Bob
Thanks Bob. Just informed it's a 2008 Tomberlin EDrive.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks Bob. Just informed it's a 2008 Tomberlin EDrive.
E-Drive is a drive type, not a model. But that helps pin it down. It is an AC drive with a Sevcon controller, it has a Motor Brake for parking, and regen brakes similar to the RXV. Front disc brakes and rear drum brakes. Like E-Z-GO, Tomberlin Automotive Group is in Augusta GA, with divisions and partners nationwide. I was unable to find any support on their website, but they do have a dealer network. It requires a dealer account to access their database of manuals and wiring diagrams. The first thing I would suspect is the charger interlock that shuts the control system down while the AC charge cord is plugged in. They usually use a relay that is powered by the 120 VAC cord as an onboard interlock. Those relays will eventually fail and leave the interlock circuit open.

Where is the Tomberlin located?
Old 06-19-2018, 06:42 AM   #5
ducowti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
...They usually use a relay that is powered by the 120 VAC cord as an onboard interlock. Those relays will eventually fail and leave the interlock circuit open.

Where is the Tomberlin located?
Good intel Bob, much appreciated. Relay is what I suspected based on reported problem.

This cart is in SC/Charleston area.

Found this just now, looking for anything helpful
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82...?page=6#manual
Old 06-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Good intel Bob, much appreciated. Relay is what I suspected based on reported problem.

This cart is in SC/Charleston area.

Found this just now, looking for anything helpful
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82...?page=6#manual
I don't think the E-Merge is the correct model, as it is a SepEx drive, not the E-Drive. But the manual was a good find.
I think the E-Merge is from their Columbia division.

Too bad you didn't post about this several weeks ago... I was out and about along the east coast, from south FL north into GA. I do need to revisit a friend over near Fort Bragg in about 2 weeks. My friend from Central NC left here yesterday to vacation with his family at the beach house on Holden Beach, NC.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
ducowti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I don't think the E-Merge is the correct model, as it is a SepEx drive, not the E-Drive. But the manual was a good find.
I think the E-Merge is from their Columbia division.

Too bad you didn't post about this several weeks ago... I was out and about along the east coast, from south FL north into GA. I do need to revisit a friend over near Fort Bragg in about 2 weeks. My friend from Central NC left here yesterday to vacation with his family at the beach house on Holden Beach, NC.
No truer...err...truism...exists than 'timing is everything'!
Old 06-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #8
ducowti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just checked the cart. Didn't have time to review the manual to see where the diode or relays are located so didn't check those, but here's what I found:

Full charges indicated. Batteries are wet and full. Cart moves FWD very slowly and increases speed, but kind of like it's micro-shorting w.high frequency hiccups in power delivery. Does not move in REV. The main fuse and block are clean, connections integrity all solid (no arcing, melting, or corrosion). Meter on the motor leads were 37V and up to 44 with pedal down.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #9
ducowti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Dupe
Old 06-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Timing can be fickle... I took my 2008 RXV for a ride, parked it and plugged it in. It's been hot & sunny all morning. Muggy too from the rains last night. Not 2 minutes after I plugged it in (Charger initially drawing 1 KW from the 120 VAC inverter output), some clouds moved in and blocked the sun. It's all good, the solar power battery bank was fully charged and carried the load until those clouds moved on. The RXV pack is now mostly charged, only drawing 400 watts and the solar battery bank is back to float mode.

Send me a PM with your contact info.

Bob
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO