lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2018, 07:03 AM   #1
flee
Not Yet Wild

Default New motor for 48v DCS cart

I need a new motor for my cart. Is there more to consider the just torque and HP numbers. I have narrowed it down to 2 motors (I think) and one has a lot higher HP number but also cost a good bit more. What other factors should I look at. Both companies are well know and well though of companies. On the surface I would think the one with more HP would be better.

I have 23" tires with a lift. Cart is used in a hilly neighborhood and some light offroad. Torque is important but would also like to be in the mid 20s for MPH.

Thanks for the input.
flee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
CrazyDad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New motor for 48v DCS cart

I have a DCS also with 22” tires and I just did the 48 volt upgrade. I wanted to go outside the box and create something different and better than most here. I was looking more HP maybe even something custom made. Then after suggestions from long time members here I went with a alltrax 500, 2ga cables and the admiral B-2 motor. It’s way better than I expected, with me and my dog in the cart I get 28+. The torque is crazy you snap heads back if you nail it at 15mph. I go up most hills at 18+ and you can easily through rear seat passengers out if you aren’t careful. Ther is one hill that looks like a 45 degree angle I scoot up at 15mph and if I back off a little and nail it I feel like the front wants to lift off the ground.

I feel like some of this has to do with a custom program ScottyB put in before shipping my controller as it had my setup written on it. I know from reading here he works with Alltrax a lot and may have helped develop or dial in the program.

Sometime in soon hopefully I’m going to sell my new batts, cables and charger to switch to lithium. The loss weight that equals about 3 adults should make the torque multiply.

Now that said my wife does not like going 25+ or the whiplash from showing off the power, so keep that in mind. I hope this helps.
CrazyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Flee, I built a DCS last fall for my nephew that is pretty much the drive system you have. my nephew uses it around his place mostly, except during deer season and then that's where it lives...and I put the same Admiral B-2 motor in it....and it performs. we don't know what you would be paying for the ones you have researched. but take a second and check out SottyB's motor page, you may find that this motor is what you want/need AND can save you some money at the same time.

Its about half way down the page.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/motors.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

HP is a rubber yardstick for comparing motors be cause HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252. That means motors with the same HP can be entirely different animals because one can have high torque at low RPM and another can have low torque at high RPM yet both have the same HP. Also, peak HP is seldom at either the RPM or Torque level advertised.

To do a motor comparison, you need Torque vs RPM curves and it is next to impossible to get that data from motor manufacturers.

---------
With 23" tall tires you loose 22% of the torque available where rubber meets road and mathematically gain 28% in speed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:20 AM   #5
flee
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all for the helpful responses. I am going with the B2 motor.
flee is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO