lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
jellyroll22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1994 TXT series strange power!

I’m working on a 1994 Txt medalist series cart and following the diagnostics thread from scottyb as it doesn’t drive, I got it non running.. Battery pack was reading 37.7 during testing (it’s on the charger now).

On the battery side of solenoid I have 37.7.
On controller side of solenoid, wth key on in forward and no throttle pedal pressed I have 18.1!! No matter what I get no solenoid click, even with the jumper with described in the diagnostic thread.

I have tried 2 different solenoids and 2 different controllers. I had them, wasn’t throwing parts at it but now I’m stumped. How on earth is it getting power to the controller side of the solenoid without the solenoid being activated, and why 18.1!?!?!?

Thanks for any help.
jellyroll22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1994 TXT series strange power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyroll22 View Post
I’m working on a 1994 Txt medalist series cart and following the diagnostics thread from scottyb as it doesn’t drive, I got it non running.. Battery pack was reading 37.7 during testing (it’s on the charger now).

On the battery side of solenoid I have 37.7.
On controller side of solenoid, wth key on in forward and no throttle pedal pressed I have 18.1!! No matter what I get no solenoid click, even with the jumper with described in the diagnostic thread.

I have tried 2 different solenoids and 2 different controllers. I had them, wasn’t throwing parts at it but now I’m stumped. How on earth is it getting power to the controller side of the solenoid without the solenoid being activated, and why 18.1!?!?!?

Thanks for any help.
Isn’t that just reading what’s in the capacitor? Could have sworn I’ve read that numerous times from the experts here. That seems like a higher reading than I remember, but I don’t know. Hopefully one of the gurus is along soon.

Either way, if you’re not getting the solenoid to click, you need to focus on the activation circuit. Pack voltage at the small solenoid terminals with the pedal depressed and rear wheels off the ground? No? Start at the charge port and go from there.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
jellyroll22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just tried it without capacitor, same reading. Also, with the solenoid not activating with the jumper wire I’m confused.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
1. I’m working on a 1994 Txt medalist series cart and following the diagnostics thread from scottyb as it doesn’t drive, I got it non running.. Battery pack was reading 37.7 during testing (it’s on the charger now).

2. On the battery side of solenoid I have 37.7.

3. I have tried 2 different solenoids and 2 different controllers. I had them, wasn’t throwing parts at it but now I’m stumped. How on earth is it getting power to the controller side of the solenoid without the solenoid being activated, and why 18.1!?!?!?

Thanks for any help.
1. It is either a TXT or a Medalist, pick one body style or the other.
TXT = Plastic body
Medalist = Metal body.

2. No solenoid click means there is a problem in the solenoid activation circuit. The solenoid's battery side and controller side large terminals are in the high current circuit and ought to be troubleshot after the no solenoid click problem is solved, if need be. Attached is a schematic with solenoid activation circuit highlighted.

3. The reason there is a voltage on the solenoid's controller side large terminal is due to the pre-charge resistor between the two large terminals. The resistor is there to keep the filter capacitors inside the controller charge to battery pack voltage less the voltage drop caused by amp flow through the resistor (250Ω for a 36V system). Amp flow is due to the filter capacitors having bleed resistors across them so they are discharged in a few minutes for safety reasons when controller is removed or disconnected from cart.

Normally, the bleed rate is in the 10mA to 20Ma range, so the voltage found on the controller side large terminal is typically 3V to 5V less than the battery pack voltage at the time.

Looks like the resistor is dropping 19.6V (37.7 - 18.1), so there is upwards of 80mA flowing through the 250Ω resistor, which might mean a bad capacitor or a bad MOSFET in the controller, but there may be another explanation for it. Just have to check it out after you fix the solenoid not clicking problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series with KSI traced.JPG (58.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Just tried it without capacitor, same reading. Also, with the solenoid not activating with the jumper wire I’m confused.
It is a resistor between the solenoid's two large terminals. The capacitors are inside the controller, between the B- and B+ terminals.

It'll take a few minutes for the capacitors to bleed off the charge.

There is enough energy stored on those capacitors to move the cart a foot or two if the controller powered up and had a throttle signal.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Jelly, get on this thing while you have johnnieb’s attention. Stick with him step by step and he’ll get you there.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #7
jellyroll22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry I misspoke. I meant the resistor.

Also, cart doesn’t have a body currently. Started as a medalist, getting a plastic TxT body, not sure which way it identifies today. I’ll trace the entire activation circuit and post what I find. Previous owner said he replaced the pedal box MS. Not sure what lead him to do that.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Sorry I misspoke. I meant the resistor.

Also, cart doesn’t have a body currently. Started as a medalist, getting a plastic TxT body, not sure which way it identifies today. I’ll trace the entire activation circuit and post what I find. Previous owner said he replaced the pedal box MS. Not sure what lead him to do that.
The pedal switch is cycled more than the other three switches the voltage that activates the solenoid has to go through and it is first in line when tracing backwards from solenoid coil, but it was probably just a guess.

What to call it? That is a good question. Unless you need body parts or accessories, it doen't matter what it is called, but somebody might notice that the TXT body wasn't introduced until 1996.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #9
jellyroll22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Working more on this and I might be narrowing in on the problem. Working through the diagnostic thread I get to the part of checking the ITS. With jumper wire from pack posts small post on solenoid to activate solenoid, Neg probe on pack neg post positive probe on white wire going into controller. I don’t get the required volts. So I switch out ITS with another and same problem but both work fine in other cart. I have ohm’d all of the wires from pedal box to their desitnation and no problems there.

I’m stumped. Help!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:39 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Working more on this and I might be narrowing in on the problem. Working through the diagnostic thread I get to the part of checking the ITS. With jumper wire from pack posts small post on solenoid to activate solenoid, Neg probe on pack neg post positive probe on white wire going into controller. I don’t get the required volts. So I switch out ITS with another and same problem but both work fine in other cart. I have ohm’d all of the wires from pedal box to their desitnation and no problems there.

I’m stumped. Help!
1. Did you ever get the solenoid to click when pedal is pushed? If not, why are you looking at the ITS?

2. What is the voltage on the black wire? If it is wrong, the voltages on the white wire will be wrong also.

3. I'm not sure which diagnostic thread you are using, some of the leave a lot to be desired. Please post link to it.

4. Have you tried a different controller? The 18.1V on the controller side terminal pointed to a bad controller.

5. Use a voltmeter for troubleshooting. Ohmmeters don't always tell the truth.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO