lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2019, 06:37 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 EZGO TX PDS 36v Motor Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuckols64 View Post
Would it be possible to purchase a kit that could be upgraded to 42v and/or 48v a little ways down the road? Just don’t have a ton of cash the throw at it right now.
This is a cut&paste from my Post#13:
If controller is bad, replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS (or larger) controller. Replace the stock solenoid, which is only 85A and marginal even with a stock (300A) controller. If there is the slightest possibility of upgrading to 42V or 48V battery pack in future, go with the MZJ400-48V, it's coil works at 36V, 42V and 48V.
The XCT controller Works at 36V, 42V and 48V and the MZJ400-48 solenoid works at 36V, 42V and 48V. Cart motors that work at 36V, work better at 42V and 48V, as do the cables.

That leaves the battery charger, whose output voltage has to match the battery pack.

I upgraded in steps. Controller and solenoid that worked at 36V as well as higher pack voltages and ran at 36 volts until I replace the original six 6V batteries with seven new 6V batteries, for 42V plus adding one more high current cable needed to connect seventh battery.

If you think you might jump to 48V and are getting new high current cables, get them for 8V batteries because the terminals on a 8V battery are both on same side and the five interconnecting cables need to be longer than they are for 6V batteries.

Also, I changed my original recommendation from, a XCT48400-PDS to a XCT48500-PDS due to the tall tires and steep hills.

Get the controller and solenoid mentioned and all you need is a battery charger and batteries to upgrade to higher voltage.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #22
snuckols64
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I decided to go ahead and buy a new setup and upgrade to 48v. More money than I was hoping to spend, but will now have basically a new cart. This will be my setup, all from http://www.cartsunlimited.net :

XCT48500PDS controller
MZJ400 solenoid
FSIP high torque motor

I will be buying (6) 8v batteries and will use all 2g cables. Based on advice from scotty, I will be keeping my d type charging receptacle. Do you guys have a suggestion on a new charger? So many options out there!
snuckols64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuckols64 View Post
Ok, I decided to go ahead and buy a new setup and upgrade to 48v. More money than I was hoping to spend, but will now have basically a new cart. This will be my setup, all from http://www.cartsunlimited.net :

XCT48500PDS controller
MZJ400 solenoid
FSIP high torque motor

I will be buying (6) 8v batteries and will use all 2g cables. Based on advice from scotty, I will be keeping my d type charging receptacle. Do you guys have a suggestion on a new charger? So many options out there!
Batteries are expensive, so the longer their cradle to grave lifespan and the less the cart's annual operating expense.

A major contributing factor for long life is maintaining a higher average SoC (State of Charge)

In the same cart driven on same terrain by same drivers, higher AH batteries last longer than lower AH batteries because the same trip doesn't discharge the batteries to as low a a SoC as lower AH batteries are discharged to, so the average SoC is higher. Of course, higher AH batteries tend to have a higher initial cost, and if the difference in price is disproportional to the difference in AH, the higher AH batteries may be more expensive in the long run.

Once the battery charger stops charging a lead-acid battery, it starts self-discharging at about 1%SoC per day and once the battery is less than 100% charged it starts aging (crystalline lead sulfate forming of plates) and the lower the SoC gets the more the battery ages, and the longer a battery sits in a partially discharged state, the more it ages. Fortunately, this can b e avoided by using a battery charger the float charges after the regular cycle ends.

I'll probably go with the Yewy 1200Z Scotty sells, or maybe the Lester Summit II, both appear to have float.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:26 PM   #24
snuckols64
Not Yet Wild

Is this a good deal? Or are used batteries a bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2019, 05:48 PM   #25
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would buy new off brand before buying used batteries. Whatever brand, go for more Amp Hours if possible.

Someone who treats batteries poorly can severely age a set of batteries in months. If they left it in a low state of charge and/or let the water low so the plates were exposed, it could be a problem. You have no idea of the history.

$0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #26
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My question would be, why are you selling them? Since they appear to be a dealer, you'll likely not be able to speak to the original owner. I'd ask them what their charging/watering habits were. Then a load test at a minimum, and 1/2 price is a completely arbitrary offer to an original owner, maybe settle for 2/3. Dunno if I'd even consider from a dealer. Was the cart totaled? Upgraded to 48 volts?

I'm just one data point.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #27
snuckols64
Not Yet Wild

You guys bring up an excellent point. As I stated before, I’m a newbie and rely on you veterans for insight. I’ve got a bead on a set of new T875 Trojans For $110 each so that’s the direction I’ll go. Thanks again for all the advice, I’m sure I’ll be back this weekend when I start to put all the stuff together :-)

Old 02-20-2019, 07:25 PM   #28
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Those Trojans are no doubt good batteries,but without knowing how they were cared for. Buy new,with proper care and charger should get 5+ years out of them.
Your investing a fair amount of money in your cart. Go the extra mile on new batteries. Batteries being the biggest investment in electric carts, buy once,cry once. Well at least for the next 5-6 years 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #29
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can test used batteries one cell at a time with a refractometer to see exactly what condition they are in. Real SOC readings do not lie.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #30
snuckols64
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You can test used batteries one cell at a time with a refractometer to see exactly what condition they are in. Real SOC readings do not lie.

So I got my new controller and motor kit today, but something is not matching up. My old motor had a speed magnet and the new FSIP motor does not. Am I missing something? What do I do? See pics below

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO