lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
greg9719
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default need some opinions on potential project/purchase

Years ago I joined here while rebuilding a medalist. Fast forward a few years and I no longer have it but am looking for another project. Want something I can tinker with and spend $100 here and $100 there and build over a few months. End goal would be 6" lifted, 48v with all applicable upgrades.

I think a cheap, non-running cart may be a better idea as I can buy once, cry once in what I want in components vs spending more for running cart and replacing good working components.

But I am well aware I get tunnel vision and wanted to ask opinions here of 1. Is my logic sound? and 2. Would $150 for the cart below be dumb if my logic makes sense?
Will piecing together exactly what I want be excessively more than a traditional build/upgrade? Is too much missing from this one to be worth it?

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/...852570036.html

(Says it was a given up on electric to gas conversion -see chain in rear pic. I would ensure the rear end wasn't mutilated in the process and the frame as well as battery supports are still intact)
greg9719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: need some opinions on potential project/purchase

Hard to go wrong for the price, which may be negotiable. If you've been here and rebuilt a cart, you already know the things to look out for. I'd look at the zerks and tell him they've obviously never been greased, transaxel fluid was never changed, too much slop in the steering = new steering box, old springs/shocks, blah, blah, and see how cheap you can get it. I'd guess wiring harness is gone? Look at rear end, like you said.

Really, this could be ideal, as you aren't paying for questionable batteries, stock motor, controller, FNR, solenoid, etc. which are throw-aways on a rebuild.

I love my series but for the money making it perform, I could have probably spent less to get more from a SepEx cart. How do you plan on using it? I'd probably do Lithium. Does it have a charger?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
greg9719
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Intended use will be neighborhood cruising, very mild off roading with the kiddos occassionally, and property has a decent grade down to the Creek so sight hill climbing back up required.

After being absent for years I have absolutely no knowledge of the lithium systems. Have lion tools so I do realize beefits. I was thinking sepex.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Others can chime in on cost, complexity, but a new forum is here, if you want to start reading. You have time, as it doesn't really affect much of anything early on the build. The real advantage is run time, weight, and hopefully longevity if you are lucky enough to get some from a freshly totalled car.

https://imgur.com/gallery/EzDmFIu/

It's on the Electric EZGO home page at the top before the Stickies.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-ezgo/
Old 04-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I saw that one on CL a couple weeks ago. Thought about picking it up myself until I saw the chain. Which means they've welded a sprocket onto the input shaft of the rear end. Means the rear end either will need replaced or torn apart and input shaft replaced. It's no good as it is...

Judging by the plywood in the battery tray, I'd say it's got some.pretty significant rust issues as well.

Rear body is cut up so that will need replaced too, not a big deal since ezgo bodies are a dime a dozen.

Personally, I would skip that one. Theres better ones out there. I know someone in Savannah that has/had a REALLY nice one with a fresh burnt orange paint job, then rear end bearings started making noise so project halted. Then started stealing parts from it for other carts... I'll ping him with a link to this thread and let him respond if he wants to sell it. I'm guessing you're in/near Jacksonville so not that far from either of us :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
greg9719
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I saw that one on CL a couple weeks ago. Thought about picking it up myself until I saw the chain. Which means they've welded a sprocket onto the input shaft of the rear end. Means the rear end either will need replaced or torn apart and input shaft replaced. It's no good as it is...

Judging by the plywood in the battery tray, I'd say it's got some.pretty significant rust issues as well.

Rear body is cut up so that will need replaced too, not a big deal since ezgo bodies are a dime a dozen.

Personally, I would skip that one. Theres better ones out there. I know someone in Savannah that has/had a REALLY nice one with a fresh burnt orange paint job, then rear end bearings started making noise so project halted. Then started stealing parts from it for other carts... I'll ping him with a link to this thread and let him respond if he wants to sell it. I'm guessing you're in/near Jacksonville so not that far from either of us :)

Thank you. I'd appreciate it. You bring up some valid points on it.

There was another in Jax that had everything but batteries and "needed work" that guy agreed to sell last night but I guess someone beat me to the punch cause when I contacted him today he said he just sold it.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ha ha- that would be me- it needs new bearings in the rear end and batteries at this point. If you’re interested in a project PM me.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'm headed to Wilmington Island tomorrow AM. Grew up on Tybee and Talahi islands.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #9
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I'm headed to Wilmington Island tomorrow AM. Grew up on Tybee and Talahi islands.

I go there for work many times a week. Small world.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Bring a trailer and hook up with Luke while you're there. You will never deal with a more stand-up guy than him. That orange one looked beautiful until it became a parts donor cart
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO