lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
ballade4
Not Yet Wild

Lightbulb I want to learn how to maintain my EZGO (unknown model, battery and power issues)

In short, I am hoping to get some direction here in regard to what to do to service my cart and get it back into tiptop shape.

Knowns:

i. It is an EZGO. The forward/neutral/reverse switch is on the seat panel next to the charging port, so I believe this makes it a fleet (?). At one point I took it to a friend who helped me open up a portion to see if we could upgrade the speed, and from what I recall, nothing could be done without significant hardware upgrades due to the switch not being on the front next to the lights, etc. Note - it does have lights which run from the bank of deep cycle batteries.

ii. It has some sweet rims and a lift kit, although the springs need replacing (slight lean to the left, likely due to lots of fatasses riding around solo on golf courses).

iii. It is possibly as old as late 2000s supposedly rebuilt from the ground up by the previous owners for a competition. Has a ton of egregious wiring (used to have a TV, speakers, solar panel, radio, compressor + train horn, rim LEDs, some other dimwitted stuff), all running from an aux battery which I recently replaced.

Problems:

a. The dang thing is slow - I can run faster than it and I am no spring chicken anymore. Have not actually clocked speed but doubt it ever reaches >12 mph.

b. Does not reliably carry a charge. I have had it run out of juice after just 5 minutes.

c. The deep cycle batteries are relatively new, however I did not realize for like the first year of ownership that topping them off with DI water was a thing. It has one of *SEE ATTACHMENT* fill systems, however I do not have the equipment to connect to the pump and not sure what to get. I know that at least one of the batteries was near-dry when I finally opened them up, and I am sure that this has a lot to do with the performance issues. I have not tested voltage yet.

d. I do not hear a click when turning the cart on. Read on another thread that the brake should possibly be making this sound but not sure if I have the same system or not.

e. In general, the entire thing could use a bit of TLC. You can tell from the image that I have not had a lot of time to spend on cleaning it up. Have not done much to service it apart from replacing something on an axle at some point with a friend (forget what it was - but it was preventing it from moving).

What I am interested to get out of this post is some general guidance and lessons on how to properly care for this thing and resolve the problems. I don't have much experience working on vehicles (electric or otherwise), but I am relatively handy, learn quickly, and can follow directions. Can also spend a reasonable amount of money on specific parts or components that may be needed.
ballade4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
ballade4
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: I want to learn how to maintain my EZGO (unknown model, battery and power issues)

Looks like my attached image did not make the original post, fixing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo 2019_0603.jpg (226.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: I want to learn how to maintain my EZGO (unknown model, battery and power issues)

Here's how to determine your drive type:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

What size are your tires? Not wheels but actual diameter.

Try to find a serial number.

Lots of custom wiring can be fun.

Measure you battery pack voltage at least 12 after charger cuts off.

Fill your batteries by any means necessary. Exposed plates isn't good.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballade4 View Post
Looks like my attached image did not make the original post, fixing.
Yeah, I'd look at getting regular caps for your batteries.

Also, this for newish batteries. There's actually a lot of info on cart maintenance there.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html

There's also lots of information for upgrading performance, depending on what drive type you have.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
ballade4
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post

<stripping link since it will not allow me to include in my reply to you>

Try to find a serial number.

Lots of custom wiring can be fun.

Fill your batteries by any means necessary. Exposed plates isn't good.

Thank you! Will review and confirm tonight with the requested info. What are some good places to look for a serial number?

I do believe that I removed all of the custom wiring leads off of the aux battery; none were wired into the deep cycle batteries as far as I could tell (still need to actually strip out the "dead" wires; probably a good excuse to review all wiring and compare to a diagram).

As far as exposed plates, this was definitely the case for one of the batteries at one point, however has never happened again.

Quote:

Measure you battery pack voltage at least 12 after charger cuts off.
Can you clarify what you mean by this? Also what is the best way to measure voltage of individual batteries? I do have a multimeter on the way, presuming this is the tool that I will need?

Quote:
Yeah, I'd look at getting regular caps for your batteries.

Also, this for newish batteries. There's actually a lot of info on cart maintenance there.

<stripping link since it will not allow me to include in my reply to you>

There's also lots of information for upgrading performance, depending on what drive type you have.
Acknowledged and reviewing. Will get the regular caps.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballade4 View Post
Thank you! Will review and confirm tonight with the requested info. What are some good places to look for a serial number? Easiest is next to passenger glove box. Others can be Googled.

I do believe that I removed all of the custom wiring leads off of the aux battery; none were wired into the deep cycle batteries as far as I could tell (still need to actually strip out the "dead" wires; probably a good excuse to review all wiring and compare to a diagram).

As far as exposed plates, this was definitely the case for one of the batteries at one point, however has never happened again.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Automatic charger usually turn off by themselves. Immediately after the charging is complete, the batteries will have a surface charge, which leads to a higher than meaningful number. Healthy 6 volt batteries should read 6.37 volts for a Trojan battery. Others vary a littleAlso what is the best way to measure voltage of individual batteries? I do have a multimeter on the way, presuming this is the tool that I will need? As long as your volt meter will read single batteries to two decimal places, you're fine. To measure, simply place the negative - black - probe on battery's negative and red to positive. No need to disconnect anything.

Acknowledged and reviewing. Will get the regular caps.

As long as you can easily remove caps for monitoring and watering. If you keep yours, I'd find an easy to isolate the caps from each other. Remove tubing and use plugs.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
ballade4
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

Following up on these questions - drive type is definitely Series. Tires are about 23.5" from floor to top. Did not find a S/N in passenger glove box, did find two small holes that appear to have contained a placard at some point. Will have battery voltage tested and confirmed tomorrow - did confirm that I have 6x six-volt batteries, and ordered some 3x speed caps to replace the current mess.

I have been perusing the other link you provided (Carts Unlimited Dot Net). Having a bit of a hard time following everything, but appears that Item #4 or #5 "SR485/600 controller" / Ezgo Medalist & TXT 36v / on the alltrax-sr-series--. h t m l page would be one option for me to get more power...right? How much of an increase from what I currently have would this represent?
Old 06-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A larger speed control will allow the motor to access more amperage which it will try to make into more power and speed. In the case of a 500a SR control the access limit is doubled. The motor output is limited by it's design and the voltage/amperage supplied.
In other words we can't make a Ferrari out of a Kia just because we let it access more fuel.
Series carts are a workhorse type of electric vehicle. They make lots of torque (power) at low rpms (speed) ... they do not make a lot of speed without significant upgrades.
As Yurtle will tell you
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #9
ballade4
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
A larger speed control will allow the motor to access more amperage which it will try to make into more power and speed. In the case of a 500a SR control the access limit is doubled. The motor output is limited by it's design and the voltage/amperage supplied.
In other words we can't make a Ferrari out of a Kia just because we let it access more fuel.
Series carts are a workhorse type of electric vehicle. They make lots of torque (power) at low rpms (speed) ... they do not make a lot of speed without significant upgrades.
As Yurtle will tell you
I appreciate the quick feedback. In my situation (stock series, no upgrades), and assuming that each battery is working correctly (not likely to be the case right now), do you have any direction on % improvement from different upgrade options? For instance, replacing the motor with part X = ~20% speed increase, -30% battery range, + parts Y and Z also have to be replaced. Something like the attachment, I am sure that others will find this helpful as well. Or if there is already a relevant thread about this just let me know and I will review.
Attached Images
File Type: png ezgo mods.png (19.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #10
ballade4
Not Yet Wild

Reading that I should plan to replace wiring with 4-gauge as well. Not sure if this has been done by previous owners (possibly, since they allegedly rebuilt it already), but definitely something I would plan to do in conjunction with any project to replace hardware on the cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO