lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #11
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Tire Wear

I had a similar problem on my RXV. By similar I mean uneven tire wear bad enough the run the front tires bald in about 8 months. This on 14" DOT rated (supposedly) tires. My fault for letting it go that long but in the end it was an alignment that fixed the problem. As mentioned, I think, alignment on a RXV or TXT means toe settings. I had a professional do it because they are readily available to me. Took him a couple of hours to dial it in. Cart is stable and drives good up to the mid 30's. Cart is never off the pavement.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2019, 06:19 PM   #12
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Like Timber said,if toed out too much,tires would wear on inside,toed in wear on outside.
Since there is no camber adjustment, check for worn front end suspension parts.
Aside from that tires show wear of driveling in predometly left hand turns.
Tire psi could be a little higher to wear middle tread opposed to outer tread as tires do roll slightly on rims in turns if marginally under inflated
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 AM   #13
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, guys. A visual check of the front tire alignment appears to be toed out on the passenger side. I'll know more when I jack up the front end and take measurements.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #14
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Make sure you take you measurements and make adjustments with cart sitting on ground under it’s own wheight.
As suspension loads,unloads front end dimensions may change due to worn parts and geometry.😊
Old 08-22-2019, 06:52 AM   #15
rib33024

This about corba 1 member. I clicked on cobra 1 user name to find a post he made a few days ago. And it takes you to a different user name cobra_31501 and they have 0 post. . You can't see any of cobra 1's post
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:33 AM   #16
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
This about corba 1 member. I clicked on cobra 1 user name to find a post he made a few days ago. And it takes you to a different user name cobra_31501 and they have 0 post. . You can't see any of cobra 1's post
Not the same but just a typo probably

FWIW out of curiosity I clicked on member cobra,1 in post #14 and didn't have the issue you described. All his posts were there just like everyone else.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #17
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

World is in trouble if there’s two of me lol

I’ve done a couple of post on front end issues learned as my experience as certified auto tech. explaining front end geometry and alignment.
Carts are similar to cars. Caster,camber,toe,Ackerman functions are the same.

When troubleshooting steering problems always have vehicles, carts weight on it’s wheels. Reason is as suspension travels up and down toe,camber,even caster may change so cart needs to be at it’s proper ride hight. As wheels are turned to left or right the amount of built in “Ackerman” the amount inside wheel turns more compared to out side wheel to maintain same radius on each wheel changes.

Reason we must square rear wheels to front wheels to determine true straight, not by useing steering wheel as reference.
Once determined true straight lock steering wheel from moving. It can not move while making adjustments. Ratchet strap from brake pedal to steering wheels serves for this purpose.
Recommend marking adjustment nut and locking nut before making any adjustment so you can return to starting point should you get off track first go around.

Medthod I use is once cart is squared. Adjust left front wheel 1/8” toe in meaning front of wheel points in compared to rear of wheel. Next same on right side, all without allowing steering wheel to move.
Mark (white nail polish works) adjustment nuts along with your recorded number of turns needed for adjustment.
Recheck cart still square and each wheel toed in 1/8”or total 1/4” when measured.
Drive cart on straight flat road to determine if steering wheel is center and adjust steering wheel as needed.

Keep in mind some carts have wider wheel base then front.
Can use piece of string tied to rear bumber pulled forward along left rear wheel so string “just” touches front edge of rear wheel pulled to front of cart then tape to floor in front of cart to establish a reference line to measure front wheel to determine if toed in/ out before starting. This will give squared rear to front reference line in which to take measurement.
Long straight edge also works but most people don’t have those available.
A small 12” straight edge,2’ floresent bulb can be held against edge of front wheel to measure off of instead of holding tape measure on edge of front tire which leads to inaccurate, eyeball reading or from climbing under cart to measure inside of rim to take measurements.

I have a accu track alignment system but the above medthod worked fine before
I bought it to do street rod, race car alignments.

Hope the above helps?😊
Old 08-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #18
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavycdr View Post
I'm about to mount new tires and rims on my 2013 RXV. I will go with 205/65-10's for increased speed. Before I mount them I want to address the tire wear and do an alignment or whatever adjustment necessary to correct this uneven wear pattern on the front. These tires have been rotated a time or two and are the original to the cart. I have maintained the pressure at 19-22 psi. What do you think I need to adjust?
I would lift the front of the cart off the ground and go to each tire. grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock see if moves. then try it at 3 and 9 o'clock. this will help point to the problem. the only wearable and replaceable parts are a-arm bushings and carrier tubes. however I have also seen the steering racks and tie rods ends loose as well.

only adjustment on the RXV front end is toe in or out. it must be done on the ground. using a tape measure, from the 3 and 9 o'clock locations. measure from rim to rim. this will show if you toe in or out. loosen the jam nut between steering rack and tie rod end and adjust in for toe out and adjust out for toe in. adjust both sides the same number of turns. use the tape measure to recheck. a little toe in is better than toe out, but the distance between rims at 3 and 9 o'clock should close to equal.
Phil_Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #19
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, guys. Very helpful information!
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #20
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Like Timber said,if toed out too much,tires would wear on inside,toed in wear on outside.
Since there is no camber adjustment, check for worn front end suspension parts.
Aside from that tires show wear of driveling in predometly left hand turns.
Tire psi could be a little higher to wear middle tread opposed to outer tread as tires do roll slightly on rims in turns if marginally under inflated
I have a friend that has a 2015 RXV and took it to A1 Golf cart for service. He told them he would like an alignment because it was a new to him cart and he seen a little wear on one front tire but did not feel anything bad when driving. Well we were getting ready to play golf and he had a crowd of people around his cart and when I walked over it was obvious what everyone was looking at. His driver front tire was leaning outward. It is way off and when he took it back they told him it could not have been anything they did. It drove fine before but after an alignment the tire leans and when I jack the cart up and grab at 12 and 6 it has a significant amount of play and then when I put my hands at 3 and 9 it has significant amount of play.

What is available to tell me how to check the wear in the front end parts. The A1 Golf Cart will not do anything because they said it all checks out.

Also I am not familiar with that front end but I guess those are struts and I am wondering if some how the drivers strut is not seated properly or something because it is way off. I checked for bent parts but it only has the wimpy A arms and the piece of metal at the bottom of the “strut”.

I thought with it take noticeable it would be easy to identify what the problem is but I do not see it.
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO