lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
Spencer456
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2010 Ezgo burning smell and then stops

I just bought a used 2010 Ezgo. I charged it up. Once charged I drove it. While driving I began to smell something burning. Then it slowed and stopped. I needed to move it out of the road and moved the switch from run to tow. It would not move. I flipped the switch to run and it drove then slowed again. I had the batteries checked. I replaced all four batteries and battery cables. I charged up the new batterries. It began to drive fine.

The cart sat for several days with a full charge. I took it for a drive again and the burning smell came back and it stopped again.

I have noticed when it sits for awhile it will run fine then act up again. Please help.
Spencer456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2010 Ezgo burning smell and then stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer456 View Post
I just bought a used 2010 Ezgo. I charged it up. Once charged I drove it. While driving I began to smell something burning. Then it slowed and stopped. I needed to move it out of the road and moved the switch from run to tow. It would not move. I flipped the switch to run and it drove then slowed again. I had the batteries checked. I replaced all four batteries and battery cables. I charged up the new batterries. It began to drive fine.

The cart sat for several days with a full charge. I took it for a drive again and the burning smell came back and it stopped again.

I have noticed when it sits for awhile it will run fine then act up again. Please help.
The smell is caused by heat, locate the heat and you will find the problem.
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I'm betting it's the RXV model, and would also wager the motor brake is failing. Lookup proper installation method, proper installation is critical, and doing it wrong can result in failure in as little as 500 feet of driving.

To anyone buying a used rxv, I would suggest considering buying a new motor brake, just as insurance (only OEM, never ever aftermarket). And keep the old one on the shelf as a backup. This is a common source of frustration on RXV
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I'm betting it's the RXV model, and would also wager the motor brake is failing. Lookup proper installation method, proper installation is critical, and doing it wrong can result in failure in as little as 500 feet of driving.

To anyone buying a used rxv, I would suggest considering buying a new motor brake, just as insurance (only OEM, never ever aftermarket). And keep the old one on the shelf as a backup. This is a common source of frustration on RXV
Good advice, cgtech! What's a good source/price for an OEM motor brake? I should probably have a backup for my 2013 RXV.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavycdr View Post
Good advice, cgtech! What's a good source/price for an OEM motor brake? I should probably have a backup for my 2013 RXV.
Uh, I'm at the dealer, so there's only one place we order them from, and that's ezgo directly. As far as aftermarket sellers of the OEM brake, I don't know
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO