lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 1986 Club Car DS Newbie Post

I picked up a pretty roached out Club Car today (it was free; what do I expect?). Gave it a pretty good hose off with the pressure washer so it looks a little bit better.

Here is the goal as I know it currently: 6" lift (unless I'm told different) with new wheels and tires. Figuring out how to make it go again; looks like pretty much everything under the seat (if it had a seat!) is missing, and then worry about paint and upholstery.

So my question: is there a single, solid source (forum member perhaps?) that sells kits for the lift, wheels and tires and batteries/controllers/etc.? I don't want to make a bunch of costly mistakes; just want to make a nice little buggy to drive round the neighborhood, maybe on the GC, and for Mama to go get the mail if she wants to.

Thanks guys. I''m pretty handy and don't mind working on stuff, but I am a complete newb on these things and really would appreciate being pointed in the right direction!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Club Car 1.jpg (159.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Club Car 2.jpg (128.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Club Car 3.jpg (179.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Club Car 4.jpg (121.2 KB, 0 views)
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2020, 10:39 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 1986 Club Car DS Newbie Post

Hello. to BGW.

You have what is known as a "resistor" cart. There are many things you can do with that cart. From restoring what you have original to the latest and best of everything. Good news is you have a great platform from which to start. I would start with testing the motor and go from there.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:46 PM   #3
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you very much for that info! I really have no idea what I have or if it was even a good platform, so that makes me happy to hear. I prefer to get somewhat of a project and make it my own, and I am pretty excited about this (way more excited than my wife at this point!)

OK, so super newb comment: I have not yet looked for the motor and don't even know if there is one in there! My son brought it by late this afternoon (it was sitting in a field at his GF's Grandmothers house and she didn't want it) and I didn't have much more time than just hosing a lot of crud off of it. I will try and find some time to look at this better sometime tomorrow.

Thank you again for the comment. I am a moderator on a Jeepster page and always try to help the newbies out if I can, so I really do appreciate the reply!
Old 04-27-2020, 10:50 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Look on top of the rear axle. It will look like a huge car or truck starter.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:50 PM   #5
mdlott
Not Yet Wild

Spend an evening reading thru threads on this forum and you'll learn a ton.
mdlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:55 PM   #6
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Obviously this is a much newer cart, but this is the general idea of what I'd like to put together. I like the stance (this is where I am assuming a 6" lift, but it is a very uneducated guess!) and the wheel/tire look. I tried to mention the lift so that if I needed to be thinking about motor sizing for bigger tires that info was out there.

I think I will also want to add some lights (not sure if there is something like the picture available for my year) and probably some tunes as well, so another consideration. I have lots to learn!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Club Car Goals!.jpg (61.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-27-2020, 10:57 PM   #7
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlott View Post
Spend an evening reading thru threads on this forum and you'll learn a ton.
I've been lurking for a while and doing that; just seem to get more confused! I know what I need or where to go to tweak my old Jeep or Blazer, and my dirt bikes, but this stuff is all foreign to me!

Thank you; I will keep plowing forward-this should be a lot of fun!
Old 04-27-2020, 10:58 PM   #8
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Look on top of the rear axle. It will look like a huge car or truck starter.
Got it; thank you! I'm pretty good with gas and diesel, but this electric stuff is all new to me!
Old 04-27-2020, 11:01 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I would go look at the motor now for 2 reasons:

1) You may decide to use it and you need to know if it works, whether keeping it or selling.

2) Look up "Testing a Series Motor." You will need to get familiar with that and if you have a motor I would spray down the motor connections tonight with PB Blaster or similar product. You will be glad you did.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:00 AM   #10
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Again; thank you! I'll be up and gone early tomorrow (I am a swimming pool contractor so the days start early), but I will try and get home at a reasonable hour and poke around.
I'll grab some PB Blaster tomorrow also (19 year old nephew lives next door and borrowed mine some time ago; never did get it back!).
Gonna go read up on Testing a Series Motor now :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car