lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
rostcl
Not Yet Wild

Default Powerdrive 17930-11

2000 DS 48 volt cart. Powerdrive charger started out at 15 amps. 2 hours later it’s at 5 amps and I can hear the batteries boiling. I have 59+ volts across the batteries while charging. At what point does the charger turn itself off? Or will it?
How do I know when the batteries have fully charged? Thank you for responding.
rostcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Powerdrive 17930-11

Seems normal. Batteries are new? They will probably boil pretty good a few times while they break in. After the first 10 or so charge cycles they won't do it so much anymore.

How long it takes the charger to turn off is dependent on how depleted the batteries are. It varies too much to say an exact time. If you run the cart down to 50% state of charge, which is the minimum you should allow the pack to get, then it will take 10-12 hours to fully recharge.
If you only ran the cart for 20 or 30 minutes then maybe 2 hours to recharge, but it really all depends on how you use the cart.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #3
rostcl
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it.
The battery charger finally cycled off. But the cart looses too much power on the slightest uphill climb. I returned and charged batteries again. Tried the hill .... Same thing. Load tested with a 100 amp load tester from harbor freight and batteries drop from almost 9vdc to just under 8vdc. I know it's capable of much, much steeper and longer uphill climbs as I have used it so. Do I need a motor? A controller? A different load tester? Your help and advice is appreciated.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Is that a series cart or a regen cart?
Big lever for FnR or a small rocker switch?
Old 07-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
rostcl
Not Yet Wild

Small rocker
Old 07-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Then it should be a regen2 cart. Remove the access panel behind the seat. Look on the left side for a solenoid with a big resistor coil. Drive the cart 20-30 seconds and stop and see if that coil is hot. If it is, the solenoid on that side is bad and needs to be replaced.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #7
rostcl
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again! You were spot on! I checked continuity across the solenoid coil and it was open. I picked up a new one today and will try to get it installed soon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car