lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2020, 10:27 PM   #1
LostSheep4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Alltrax SR Programming

I have a newly purchased cart that has an Alltrax SR Controller. The seller showed me how to connect a printer cable and adjust the settings (he did it in front of me). A few days later, I decided to test it our myself. Upon connecting the USB to the controller, the computer end hit the side of the cart (I assume a grounded bolt) and a few sparks flew. I disconnected the wire, and am going to attempt to call the seller for any tips. I found the following instructions on a prior post.... I hate to pull something into my computer an destroy it. Any suggestions? I think the seller will help, but found this site an though I would give you guys a try as well.

------------
Re: Alltrax programming
You don't have to do any of that stuff.
1. Download Alltrax Software Toolkit and unzip it.
2. Next with a USB printer cable plug into the Controller and the other end to computer and start the program
3. First time you plug in it will update software if it's different.
4. Download the software manual and start reading. Any question ask here
LostSheep4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2020, 11:13 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax SR Programming

Bottom line is the only way I know to kill the blue Alltrax SR or XCT is to let the printer cable contact the cart while it is plugged into the controller. If the controller will no longer flash the throttle code on the LED status light when connected to the PC or laptop then the controller is dead. Contact Alltrax - they are a fairly generous company and I have seen them give the customer a new control when they were honest about what happened. GL and keep us posted.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:17 AM   #3
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Bottom line is the only way I know to kill the blue Alltrax SR or XCT is to let the printer cable contact the cart while it is plugged into the controller. If the controller will no longer flash the throttle code on the LED status light when connected to the PC or laptop then the controller is dead. Contact Alltrax - they are a fairly generous company and I have seen them give the customer a new control when they were honest about what happened. GL and keep us posted.
I had to read your response a few times before I understood what you meant. You're saying that once you plug the cable into the controller you better hang on to the other end of the cable for dear life because if you drop it you're in trouble. What part of the cart does it have to touch or contact?
Your statement makes me think it's not a good idea to even connect a printer cable to the controller once it's installed. Please tell me the whole story. I'm sitting here, XCT controller in hand and about to install it.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:03 AM   #4
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I can honestly say I have done exactly what Scotty said and I think I got lucky because everything still works fine. I didnt have the key switch on or anything else but when I was tweaking it during the initial install I took the laptop off and lifted the seat and the cable fell and sparked against a terminal. I fully expected to have fried it!

I believe the outside shell of a usb cable is ground so I think you need to hit a positive terminal on a battery to get issues.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #5
LostSheep4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I just spoke to the seller, and he said he normally connects the computer first.

I just purchased a 72 volt cart with a SR contoller.
I wanted to test programming the contoller. I folded down the back seat to put my laptop on, connected the wire to the contoller, and as I was passing the usb cable through the seat the computer end hit either a bolt or the back seat frame. When it did, the USB plug sparked and was burnt.

Cart seems to run the exact same now as before. Guess next time I will connect to the computer first...and disconnect from the contoller first when taking it off.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
eBoon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Daddy View Post
I can honestly say I have done exactly what Scotty said and I think I got lucky because everything still works fine. I didnt have the key switch on or anything else but when I was tweaking it during the initial install I took the laptop off and lifted the seat and the cable fell and sparked against a terminal. I fully expected to have fried it!

I believe the outside shell of a usb cable is ground so I think you need to hit a positive terminal on a battery to get issues.
LOL - I had the exact same thing happen to me. Cable plugged into the controller and it flopped down and must have hit a battery terminal - THE SPARKS FLEW! . I was sure I had smoked the controller - but amazingly it was fine - no issues at all (Whew!). The cable did not survive. I do like to keep the cable plugged in for ease of access though - so I bought a USB cover like this from Amazon: (link if you are interested) .. I feel better now leaving it plugged in!
eBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:51 PM   #7
LostSheep4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies. When I saw the sparks I started second guessing myself and was hesitant to plug it into my computer. I have to run by and get a new cable, but hope to try again soon.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #8
LostSheep4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Just wanted to follow up. I got a new cable, connected it to my computer before connecting to the controller. Everything worked perfectly this time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car