lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2021, 10:10 AM   #1
PLAYRR2000
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO TXT Series bucking under load (not batteries)

1995 EZGO TXT, all stock electrically, like the title says is bucking/jumping/surging under load. Most of the time on flat concrete it is almost normal, maybe just an occasional blip that you hear more than feel. Add a hill or hill and soft terrain and it steadily gets worse. If the hill is too steep it won't even climb it at all, it will just sit there and buck/jump. It's the same kind of cutout you start to get when battery voltage gets too low. However, that is not what is causing it. Did it with old batteries, replaced them and still have the same issue. Pack voltage measured on batteries themselves does not drop when it occurs (stays 37V+). However, measuring across B+ and M on the controller, you see it start at 0V with no throttle and ramp up to near 36V toward full throttle. However, you do see the drops when the cart hesitates. It's a digital meter and happens very quick, but you see it drop into the 20's or even teens for split seconds when the cart bucks and then goes back to 36V. Again, measured across the pack itself no drop is present when it happens. I have checked all connections under the seat, replaced all cables with 4ga welding wire when I did the batteries (even the cables to the motor itself), and replaced the solenoid because it was cheap and easy. I inspected the throttle ring under the floor and everything appears normal, is dry, no corrosion, good connections, etc. With it being more load based, I was thinking the throttle, ignition switch, things like that are less likely since they don't really see a load (maybe I'm wrong). At this point it seems to me like it has to be the controller or the motor itself. Am I wrong? If not, any further steps to help isolate which one? I have seen mentions of a speed sensor. Is there a speed sensor on a 1995 Series cart? My cart does not engine brake going down hill. It can get up to 40mph+ if you're brave enough and the hill is big enough. Most other carts I have driven seem to engine brake down hill to maintain lower speed. Is that a year thing or perhaps an indicator of a problem that could be related? Thanks in advance for any advice from here. Picture of the cart attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart.jpg (58.9 KB, 0 views)
PLAYRR2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2021, 07:25 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT Series bucking under load (not batteries)

So to me it sounds like the controller is getting overloaded/overheated and shuts down. I *thought* that it took longer than a few moments to reset though. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

As for the regen braking question: Series carts can't do regen. Sepex carts (like the Ezgo DCS/PDS/TXT48 ) CAN do regen braking. So a big hill just let off the throttle and the motor becomes a generator and recharges your pack. I believe that AC drive carts (like the RXV) can also regen brake, but I don't own one so I never paid that much attention to it.

As for 40 mph, if your rear diff gears are stock and if your tires are 20.5 inches then your motor is spinning nearly 8,000 rpm! Hopefully you have taller gears or taller tires or a motor with the high speed banding otherwise you run the risk of it self destructing and locking up.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:01 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Could be a problem with the brushes in the motor not making good contact and dropping out under load. See if the motor cap is getting hot when this happens.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
PLAYRR2000
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. I will check the motor for heat. It happens immediately out of the garage, but I'll drive it for a bit and see if it is heating up. The 40mph comment was just to say that the speed will keep increasing going downhill if you don't apply the brakes. There's a pretty long hill near my house where I get going faster than the cart will ever do under it's own power with no throttle applied at all, but I use the brakes to not let it get carried away. Interesting comment about the lock-up. That would be a bad day!
Old 04-29-2021, 12:15 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You keep spinning it at 40 mph and you will probably experience a lockup
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:53 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
You keep spinning it at 40 mph and you will probably experience a lockup
Yup! You'll see those tires smoke! From locking up and sliding at 40mph... Doesn't matter if you are pressing the GO pedal or not, if the back wheels are turning that electric motor is spinning.

If you want to see how fast the motor is spinning just play with this calculator.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/speed-calculator.php
Your final gear ratio on stock gears is 12. Stock tires are 18 or 18.5. If you keep it to 6,000rpm (generally considered max safe rpm) then 30mph is the limit assuming you have larger 20.5 tires, on 18" tires the limit would be 27.

Nice looking cart BTW.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:40 AM   #7
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you hear the solenoid click on and off when this happened? As if power was being interrupted to it maybe. 🤔
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:52 PM   #8
PLAYRR2000
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Do you hear the solenoid click on and off when this happened? As if power was being interrupted to it maybe. 🤔
Yes, it does click when it happens.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Did you check the connections on your solenoid? The small wires and big cables? Since it's intermittent you won't be able to trace it to see where the loss of signal is coming from if that's the issue. Also check the cable connections where it attaches to the controller. I assume all your battery connections are good since you just replaced the batteries.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #10
PLAYRR2000
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Did you check the connections on your solenoid? The small wires and big cables? Since it's intermittent you won't be able to trace it to see where the loss of signal is coming from if that's the issue. Also check the cable connections where it attaches to the controller. I assume all your battery connections are good since you just replaced the batteries.
Yes, all cables and solenoid were replaced as well so all connections have been re-done. I guess I may just have to guess controller next and see what happens.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO