lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2021, 04:18 PM   #1
cnaught
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default smoothest ride for club car

I just purchased a 2018 Club Car Precedent I2. I have 18" tires, and I upgraded the controller to the Alltrax 500a (tuned down to 400a). The cart get's 24 MPH off the charger with the original batteries. I'm looking at putting in Lithium, maybe the Allied.

The main thing that I would like to improve is the smoothness of the ride. I only use it on road, but when I hit dips or sewer covers the ride is really stiff and I would like to smooth it out. Any suggestions? Lift Kit, New Springs, Air Shocks?

Thanks!
cnaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: smoothest ride for club car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaught View Post
I just purchased a 2018 Club Car Precedent I2. I have 18" tires, and I upgraded the controller to the Alltrax 500a (tuned down to 400a). The cart get's 24 MPH off the charger with the original batteries. I'm looking at putting in Lithium, maybe the Allied.

The main thing that I would like to improve is the smoothness of the ride. I only use it on road, but when I hit dips or sewer covers the ride is really stiff and I would like to smooth it out. Any suggestions? Lift Kit, New Springs, Air Shocks?

Thanks!
Going to lithium is a good choice, however it will make the ride rougher due to less weight. If your suspension is stock, that may be as soft as you can get unless you run the tire pressure down to 15 psi. This will help some.

Other members with more knowledge of the Precedent should join in here with suggestions. I'm not sure there are many possibilities.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:51 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

A long travel lift kit is really the only option. Club cars are somewhat limited by design with a single leaf front end. Long travel replaces all that with individual coil springs, and some allow you to adjust preload and ride stiffness.

You’re gonna come out of pocket some coin for that though. I’d start by dropping the air pressure in your tires if they’re pumped up high and see what that does for you. Larger tires with a lift kit will help too, more sidewall has more flex and absorption. Tires are the very first item in line with ride quality on any suspension system since they’re in direct contact with the road. For example, with equal air pressures, A 14” wheel with a 23” tire will ride completely differently than a 10” whee with a 23” tire.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:41 PM   #4
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

Bottom line is it’s a golf cart, not a SxS.

The biggest bang for the buck will be following the example of hard tail choppers. Maximize side tire amount, and lower tire air pressure as much as possible. Those have saved many a back.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:

Thanks!
Is a rear seat installed? I’m sure it does if you say it is a predominantly road car.
I have a 18 president, 6 inch left, backseat, 23 inch tires on 12 inch wheels, Street legal and used entirely on road. I agree the ride is so stiff it is punishing. I’m sure yours has heavy duty rear springs as they are always installed when a rear seat is utilized. I keep my air pressure around 15 pounds, yes still the ride is horrible. One thing I did that made quite a difference is I removed the rear leaf springs, the springs have three leaves, the top which is connected to the shackles, and almost full and spring segment below that, and then a lower maybe 14 or 16 inches long half inch thick steel leaf segment that has absolutely no flex whatsoever, I took the leafspring apart by the way you need to remove it from the car in order to disassemble it and remove the lower half-inch thick bottom segment, I would say it made a considerable difference one thing was some webbing inside the wheel well on the passenger side was occasionally rubbing I took my saws all and cut a little of the webbing off which fix that issue, I have not had two people on the rear seat yet but I’ve had one with no rubbing, I really don’t care all that much about weight carrying with people in the back as it’s almost 100% used with just two people on front, as I say I don’t think anything rides poorly as a Precident wood heavy duty springs, but this has made it somewhat tolerableIf you have any questions don’t hesitate to reach out to me
Mikefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:13 AM   #6
cnaught
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I guess my only options are to get a lift kit with larger tires and run them around 15 PSI. I don't take it off road, and it's really in the rear that it's so stiff, so it's not worth investing in a long travel kit, so it seems a double a-arm may be the best.

I heard some people but Honda car tires on their club cars, which helps the smoothness of the ride.

I may just have to deal with it for now. I have a bad boy buggy with independent suspension that rides great (but just use it in the country side) Maybe my next cart for my home will be a Tracker EV IS that I put street tires on it. It comes stock with the lift, large wheels, independent suspension, and a 72v 4wd system that goes 25 MPH. I would just need to invest maybe $1000 - $1500 to street legalize it.
cnaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:22 PM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Maybe my next cart for my home will be a Tracker EV IS that I put street tires on it. It comes stock with the lift, large wheels, independent suspension, and a 72v 4wd system that goes 25 MPH. I would just need to invest maybe $1000 - $1500 to street legalize it.
That's a nice cart. It just needs this:

https://alliedlithium.com/products/a...32159200510019

instead of the 6-12's. Of course by then moneywise you probably could get a Land Rover and really ride in comfort!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car