lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #1
MERCENARY
Not Yet Wild

Default BLOWN MOTOR CC 48v DS 1996

Ok so after a lot of inspection and testing with the help of Will from Alltrax (great guy verrrrry helpful) its seems my motor is blown.

jacked up cart ,unhooked all motor wires...hooked jumper wire from a1 to s1 ...hooked up auto jumper cables : red to A2 black to S2 - nothing happens

My question is 2 parts

1) do i need to replace with a s1/s2 non sensor motor? or can i use an f1/f2 or another model

2) My cart is 48v but according motor label its a 36v (see Pic)..why would it be listed as 36v and not 48v?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor.jpg (89.7 KB, 0 views)
MERCENARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: BLOWN MOTOR CC 48v DS 1996

A 36v motor will run on 48V no problem, and makes more power than it would running on 36v, but performance will vary based on the motor design. Typically, a 48v motor will outperform a 36v motor. Which motor to get next depends on what you do, or want to do with the cart.

Motors marked with S terminals are series wind motors, whereas motors with F terminals are shunt wind or Sepex. The two work totally differently and are Not interchangeable.
The only way to make your cart use a shunt wind motor is to convert the entire thing, replace the wire harness, the controller, the motor, and a bunch of other stuff. Certainly an option if you want to spend the money.

What do you use the cart for? What kind of terrain? Flat paved roads, or steep hills?
Offroad, mud, sand, field grass, hunting?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:36 PM   #3
MERCENARY
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
A 36v motor will run on 48V no problem, and makes more power than it would running on 36v, but performance will vary based on the motor design. Typically, a 48v motor will outperform a 36v motor. Which motor to get next depends on what you do, or want to do with the cart.

Motors marked with S terminals are series wind motors, whereas motors with F terminals are shunt wind or Sepex. The two work totally differently and are Not interchangeable.
The only way to make your cart use a shunt wind motor is to convert the entire thing, replace the wire harness, the controller, the motor, and a bunch of other stuff. Certainly an option if you want to spend the money.

What do you use the cart for? What kind of terrain? Flat paved roads, or steep hills?
Offroad, mud, sand, field grass, hunting?
Live at sea level at the beach..mostly paved roads..dirt roads sometimes..rarely hilll or climbs here ..everything is flat lol

ive got 400a 48400 alltrax controller hd f/r and solenoid 4g wires already..

will this work? will buy direct from DD if so...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18329574025...4AAOSwf6pbYcBf
Old 07-01-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Curious : How do you know that you don't have brushes stuck in the brush guides and not contacting commutator ? Maybe you just need brushes ?
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:05 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Talk to D&D and see what motor they recommend. Since you already have all the parts for a series upgrade stick with a series motor.
A 48v speed motor would probably suit you well.
Or you could send your old motor to EMP motors and have it re-wound probably a little cheaper than buying a motor outright. Turnaround time for a rewind would probably be a few weeks.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:53 PM   #6
Roy Beaty
Not Yet Wild

If you have not opened your motor yet, as stated earlier, it could be brushes. If it is actually bad, I had my armature repaired at a local motor rewind company. just another option.
Roy Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:27 AM   #7
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Site sponsorhttps://www.revolutiongolfcars.com has a better price on that D&D motor. If you go that route. I agree with the others on checking the motor.
Goober11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:26 PM   #8
MERCENARY
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreatt View Post
Curious : How do you know that you don't have brushes stuck in the brush guides and not contacting commutator ? Maybe you just need brushes ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Beaty View Post
If you have not opened your motor yet, as stated earlier, it could be brushes. If it is actually bad, I had my armature repaired at a local motor rewind company. just another option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober11 View Post
Site sponsorhttps://www.revolutiongolfcars.com has a better price on that D&D motor. If you go that route. I agree with the others on checking the motor.

Thank you for the advice !

Would the brushes problem be something I would notice before it went bad? Are there symptoms when the brushes go bad?

Cart was running fine 28mph...I pulled into a gas station maybe 5mp hit a pothole and cart just lost power...Once I determined the motor was the problem I was thinking a loose cable could have somehow shorted it or post broke when i hit the hole,
Old 07-02-2021, 08:02 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCENARY View Post
Thank you for the advice !

Would the brushes problem be something I would notice before it went bad? Are there symptoms when the brushes go bad?

Cart was running fine 28mph...I pulled into a gas station maybe 5mp hit a pothole and cart just lost power...Once I determined the motor was the problem I was thinking a loose cable could have somehow shorted it or post broke when i hit the hole,
I understand your concern that you just hit a pothole and it quit. Strange things happen with carts all the time. Since you just came off a 28 mph run, that motor was good and hot and not very receptive to a hard knock.

The pothole could easily have knocked a brush out of a burned through holder. This happened to me with my cart when I first got it.

It is well worth the effort to pull the motor out and break it down to check the brushes. If your going to replace it, it needs to come out anyway! You may get lucky and find a bad brush.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:10 PM   #10
MERCENARY
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
I understand your concern that you just hit a pothole and it quit. Strange things happen with carts all the time. Since you just came off a 28 mph run, that motor was good and hot and not very receptive to a hard knock.

The pothole could easily have knocked a brush out of a burned through holder. This happened to me with my cart when I first got it.

It is well worth the effort to pull the motor out and break it down to check the brushes. If your going to replace it, it needs to come out anyway! You may get lucky and find a bad brush.
I meant the cart ran fine....I only drove about a 1/4 miles down the road when it happened...

Will pull it tomorrow and check the brushes...not sure what I am looking for though
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car