lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2021, 03:02 PM   #1
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

Default 2017 RXV 48v 2-passenger. Is there a fuse between solenoid and motor brake?

Honestly, I would love to know where ALL the fuses are.

I'm about to try replacing the solenoid, and while diagnosing it last weekend we bypassed the solenoid with a screwdriver, which resulted in a spark. The cart also didn't go, which was what it was doing before that...although we had just taken a solenoid measurement, which showed 51v coming in and varying numbers in the low 30's leaving it with the solenoid engaged. We figured it was bad and wanted to take the extra step to prove it. Worked out great. :(

After the spark, we tried again and the solenoid clicked but I didn't hear the motor brake (I presume...that second click) click as it had been doing prior. to bridging the terminals I don't know if we blew a fuse, or what. I want to make sure I correct whatever may have happened downstream before I throw a new solenoid in there and possibly end up disappointed in the result. It's been 20 years since electronics school, and I've looked at a bunch of diagrams and really can't tell. It's hard enough just to tell if I'm looking at the correct diagram for my cart. I have the rear up on jack stands right now and, worst case scenario, I'll do my best to trace the wires and see what I can come up with.
pjr202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2021, 03:30 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2017 RXV 48v 2-passenger. Is there a fuse between solenoid and motor brake?

Look on the side of the controller cover. It's black right above the controller.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:42 PM   #3
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2017 RXV 48v 2-passenger. Is there a fuse between solenoid and motor brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Look on the side of the controller cover. It's black right above the controller.
Thank you. I had already looked at that one but wasn't sure what it was for. I don't see anything else to look at so I'm gonna install the solenoid.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:41 AM   #4
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

I have another question and would rather not annoy you all by starting another thread.

I called Buggies Unlimited this morning to confirm the solenoid is correct. They believe that it is, but there is no technician working today to answer my other question. The mounting bracket is different, but it looks like it'll work if I install it upside down. One of the comments on the product page said the same thing, so I'm not too concerned.

But, how do I know which side to put the input voltage, and the smaller wires? The OEM solenoid has the input voltage on the side with the part number, and the output terminal is obvous because it's setup to mount to the bridge bracket. The new solenoid doesn't have that bracket and the main mounting bracket isn't oriented so that the positioning of the terminals would be a default when mounted.

Or does it not matter where the big wires go? Same question for the small wires.

I greatly appreciate any help!
Old 09-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #5
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

EZGO part number 649240 is what your looking for.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:54 AM   #6
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Thank you! The first two numbers are the same, but not the second two. Mine ends in 12-26. I guess that doesn't matter? In my initial search I looked and looked for a Trombetta with all the same numbers to no avail.

If this is definitely the correct part I'll order it and return the other.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #7
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It's coming front EZGO click on the link.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #8
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
It's coming front EZGO click on the link.
I went ahead and ordered it. I wanted OEM to begin with anyway. I appreciate the help!
Old 09-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #9
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

I'm back. :(

I received the OEM solenoid and installed it. I'm now getting 51v in and 50v out of the solenoid.

Cart still won't go.

I do hear the solenoid click and click in the rear, and the tow switch now DOES put the cart into neutral. With the previous solenoid and its 30 volts output, the cart wasn't going into neutral with the tow switch activated (and key in neutral).

So one problem fixed, but still the cart doesn't go anywhere in F or R.

I called the shop that sold me the cart earlier this year. They spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me, suggesting things, and ran out of ideas. They're gonna pick it up next week and see what they can do there.

I'd love to figure this out on my own. They're a GREAT shop, but I'd prefer to get it going by my own hands and save them the trouble. They're more builders than a repair shop, but they take care of their customers.

I don't know where to go next. I've checked every fuse I can find. I read online that it may have a reset button near the motor, but the guy at the shop said he'd had a late model (2017 in my case) RXV motor in his hands and had never seen any reset.

I don't know if I'm dealing with a speed controller issue, or what. Low voltage out of the solenoid seemed to be a pretty dead-to-rights fix, and the tow switch suddenly working after the new solenoid just makes this more perplexing when the cart still isn't moving under its own power.

Any idea or guidance? Should I be checking the speed controller next? I don't even know how to do that. Or a Reed switch problem?
Old 09-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #10
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

SOLVED.

I'm an idiot.

The shop guy came to get it from an hour away. Calls me probably a half hour after he got there. Said they went through everything, did tests, cleaned and tested the batteries, etc. Scratching their heads, they start going over the wiring again and found the white wire that attaches to the plate between the solenoid and speed
controller wasn't attached. That fixed the issue.

I guess when I took it off it disappeared down in there somewhere. I should have gone back over the "before" pictures again after I was finished

I feel a little dumb, but at least I know it was just a bad solenoid, and I actually did sort-of fix that. ;)

Thanks for all the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO