lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default DPI charger issues.... Scotty B hope you can help

48v DPI charger purchased new from carts unlimited first of the year. I just went to plug into cart. AC cord first then into cart. Amp gauge went to 5 amps then to 0 and all the lights started flashing. Tries a few more times... Same thing. Now when I plug it into AC all lights flash.. Any ideas??
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DPI charger issues.... Scotty B hope you can help

I got a DPI charger from Scotty as well , if you read the manual that came with your charger , it says to always plug the. Dc cord set into cart first. Then plug in the Ac line .when it is done charging always unplug AC first then.then DC cord set . The 5 lights will flash depending of what mode you have your charger set to ( mode 2 = 2 flashes ) then normally mine goes to 5 amp for a few seconds the goes to 15 to20 amps , how low is your batts ? there is also error codes depending which lights flash
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm on vacation and don't have the manual. I've always done AC first the dc plug. Don't think that's the issue though. Batteries are new, got them in march. I'm at the beach and I think it could be the humidity. It's working now since I brought it inside. Ill wait and see how it does. I got 5 more days to deal with it. I can get a 36v charger to get me through but I don't think that may be wise...
Old 06-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great white north View Post
..... if you read the manual that came with your charger , it says to always plug the. Dc cord set into cart first. Then plug in the Ac line .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy_hd View Post
I'm on vacation and don't have the manual. I've always done AC first then dc plug. Don't think that's the issue though.
So, you're doing it backwards, having trouble, and you don't think it matters?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ill try that tomorrow. I want to say I read on here in a thread to plug the AC in first. That's what I've done since march with no issues. Not sure if that info was charger specific... And I get your point.. Thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I have a DPI and it's always plugged in the AC. We've had at least three power outage over the last two weeks and it never caused problems.

I've never had an issue when plugging the buggy in. It does take a little longer to kick in than the PowerWise chargers, but I never experienced what you describe.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you read the entire manual, it tells you both ways.
Specifically: Paragraph 2 says to plug into AC first and paragraph 6 says to plug into cart first.

My DPI chargers stay plugged into AC all the time.

---------
Cableguy, your charger is saying something is wrong with the battery pack or charge loop.

What is the voltage at the cart's charge receptacle?

If same as pack voltage at main +&- terminals, pop the top off the charge receptacle and monitor voltage while charger is in its test phase. (Putting out the 5A test current)

It might just be a corroded connection between the receptacle and battery pack.
The connection between white wire and 60A fuse is easy to overlook when doing routine battery cleaning. Don't ask how I know.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok. Thanks for the input. I leave it outside at home and I am at the beach so the salt air could be my problem. Ill need to put a dvm on my grocery list for later.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I was using a plastic car audio fuse holder with a glass 40 amp fuse. The output end ( so to speak ) has a black spot inside the holder on some metal peice and the wire jacket from that point to the main pack was very hard. Bypassed that and all seems good now...
Old 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Glad to hear you got it working now. Thanks for posting back about the problem, it might help somebody in the future.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO