lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Random
Not Yet Wild

Default Charge

My charger is leaking a sticky substance all the time any ideas of what's wrong with it??
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charge

Please post make and model. Could be the capacitor has sprung a leak, or it could be something a previous owner spilled in it.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Random
Not Yet Wild

98 ezgo and it just started owned the golf cart for almost a year
Old 08-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
MuckSavage
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'd say its the capacitor. It's filled with a dielectric oil. I'm not sure what the charger has, but a typ capacitor has a weep hole which leaks when it fails.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I meant make and model number of the charger. Assuming its as old as your cart, its likely a coil and core type charger, which has a big capacitor, which can leak goo.

If it's a newer model electronic charger...

The capacitor can easily be replaced by you, but be VERY careful, as it can hold a lethal charge. You must discharge it before you can touch it. This is not the "proper" way to do it, but I'll bet most techs do it this way. Put on gloves and safety goggles and short the two terminals with a screwdriver.

Then just look up the ratings and Google your way to a new one. Make sure the size will fit.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

PLEASE, BE SURE THE CHARGER IS OFF WHEN YOU DO THAT! You can encounter 300-400 volts "flyback voltage" when the charger is on. Also, here is a usually accurate method to test the capacitor (i will refer to it as "cap"). First, discharge it. Second, remove one of the 2 wires from the cap. Third, with your digital volt meter set to 20m Ohms, place one probe on each of the two cap terminals. The reading should start very low (0.1) , and slowly increase to 20, then infinity (whatever the meter shows when probes are attached to nothing). This puts a slight charge to the cap, so discharge it when done testing. Any other observed readings indicate a "suspected bad" cap.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If it's leaking, it's bad. It may test OK, but it no longer has the oil it had when it was new. If it's 17 years old and leaking, replace it.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I took it as an assumption if juice was coming out, thats probably bad. I wasnt trying to say it was still good if it leaked but tested ok. Failure would be imminent, and charger ouptut would.be reduced.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

We're still assuming this is an old style coil and core, ferroresonant type charger. If it's a newer electronic one, it could be Coca Cola that a previous owner spilled in it.

Make and model would help us.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
Random
Not Yet Wild

Also can I get brake pads from any auto parts store?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO