lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Steering ball joint removal

Can someone tell me how to remove the ball joint from the steering rack. I am trying to replace the boot. I did a search but didn't hav any luck. I don't know my terms but it's not the end you would use a pickle fork on, got that loose. The other end under the boot.

Thanks
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Wylie_Tunes
Getting Wild

Default Re: Steering ball joint removal

Post a pic pointing to what you are removing. The outer Tie rod is whats bolted to the steering knuckle and is threaded on to the inter tie rod. Theres probably an adjuster sleeve between them. You will probably need to peel back the boot to put a wrench on the inner tie rod in order to break the sleeve loose from the inner tie rod.
Wylie_Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

it would help if we knew what year and model cart you have, plus the picture.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
crash test dummy

one side is right hand thread the other side is left hand thread
Old 09-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

or better yet, go to the stickies at the top of this section and download the Technicians Service manual. it has both types of steering set up in it. Its in SECTION G
Old 09-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Old 09-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
one side is right hand thread the other side is left hand thread
Sounds like a 70s Mopar. I wrung off two lug nuts before figuring this out.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

95 Ez Go Electric. I is the ball joint labled #1 in the schematic. Mine looks a little different so I'll snap a picture tonight. Would this ball joint be reverse thread?
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Wylie_Tunes
Getting Wild

Thats the tie rod. Are you trying to separate it from the steering knuckle or the threaded rod #5?

To remove the tie rod from the knuckle: remove cotter pin and castle nut. Use the round end of a ball peen hammer and wrap the knuckle at the tie rod 3-4 good whacks and the tie rod should pop out of the knuckle. Just dont hit the tie rod.

To remove the tie rod from the threaded rod #5: with tie rod still in knuckle, break nut #4 loose with open end wrench. Now remove tie rod from knuckle. open end wrench on the flats on the inboard side of the #5, open end wrench on the flats on the tie rod and thread it off.
Wylie_Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie_Tunes View Post
Thats the tie rod. Are you trying to separate it from the steering knuckle or the threaded rod #5?

To remove the tie rod from the knuckle: remove cotter pin and castle nut. Use the round end of a ball peen hammer and wrap the knuckle at the tie rod 3-4 good whacks and the tie rod should pop out of the knuckle. Just dont hit the tie rod.

To remove the tie rod from the threaded rod #5: with tie rod still in knuckle, break nut #4 loose with open end wrench. Now remove tie rod from knuckle. open end wrench on the flats on the inboard side of the #5, open end wrench on the flats on the tie rod and thread it off.
you have your terms mixed up.....a Tie Rod is comprised of 1 or 2 Ball Joints and a Rod connecting them.

the OP has stated that he has used a "Pickle Fork" to remove the ball joint from the steering knuckle.

but as Wylie stated, after you use the pickle fork to loosen the ball joint, then remove the cotter key (if it has one) and the nut and the ball joint is free from the steering knuckle. Then you loosen the nut on the threaded rod (item 4) and it then should/will screw off the end of the shaft. your boot is held on with clamps, remove those and your done.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO