lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #21
Jefd
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1996 Club car Help

Anyone know what I can do for a controller? And how much retiring is involved? I need about 300/400 amps.
And why dose everyone treat a regen1 cart like a red headed stepchild?
I guess I am going to find out!
Jefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefd View Post
Anyone know what I can do for a controller? And how much retiring is involved? I need about 300/400 amps.
And why dose everyone treat a regen1 cart like a red headed stepchild?
I guess I am going to find out!
Because it was a failed drive system that makes professional golf cart technicians pull their hair out... It was made for 1 year and abandoned... Call FSIP they have a conversion control for it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #23
Jefd
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, Scotty b
Old 09-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #24
Jefd
Not Yet Wild

ok, ok, I need the latest version of spell check!! thanks again~!
Old 05-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #25
Bstypula7676
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
First some basics - what color is your controller (this sounds lame but it does matter)? The black colored controller is a complex beast and controls and affects many things. Its not easy to troubleshoot - but lets start.

1) Does the cart make a "audible click" when you turn on the key?
2) If it does, after 10 to 30 seconds of just sitting - does it click again by itself?
3) With the key on - when you depress the go pedal - do you hear a very faint but audible (with the seat off) soft whine from the controller?
4) When you plug in the charger - does it charge?
5) What is the total voltage of your battery pack (measured 12 hours AFTER a full charge).

It may seem important, but its very rare for the motor to have failed - it can happen with abuse or for some other obscure reason - but its rare.
1 yes 2 yes 3 yes 4 yes 5 50volts

Black controller

Help stuck
Bstypula7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #26
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

You can do some "generic" troubleshooting and checking if you look at THIS THREAD. It's worth a try because if it works - it's essentially quick and free.

Failing that - you can download the manual for that cart HERE

Look specifically at pages 21-23 and 21-25

Conduct as many tests in the list on 21-25 that you feel you have not already eliminated (eg. the 0-5K potentiometer/accelerator is especially important to confirm that its working - it's a known failure point). If the potentiometer is fine, then Procedure #36 will pretty much tell you if the controller has failed or not.

In the olden days THESE PEOPLE used to repair them (if they weren't too badly damaged). But I have no idea if they still offer that service. Alternatively you can buy a "new/re-engineered" replacement for it ($400-$500 or more) - just Google "Club Car Regen-1 controller".

And lastly - if you are planning to upgrade anyway - you should contact TahoeDawgZ71, and/or ScottyB on this site for the required wiring harness/replacement parts and new controller to convert the cart to IQ and breathe new life into that old beast.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #27
Bstypula7676
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks joe...

I am not worried about breathing new life in it. Its a backup for my gas cc. Im gonna try and do the troubleshooting you suggested.

Thanks i will keep u posted. Hoping i find something.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #28
Bstypula7676
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Btw, not sure if this helps, but this occured after the winter storage at camp. When we arrived, i installed the batteries and turned the key, hit the throttle and the cart lunged , then never worked again.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #29
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

You accurately described the exact sensation I felt many years ago when my controller failed. Back then, I was able to buy a rebuilt one and sent back my "exchange core" to the folks I gave you a link to. But times have changed - they no longer have swap/spares and may not even offer to rebuild them any more.

If the cart lurched and stopped, you should also look hard for a loose connection on battery cables as well as all the "little" wires. A bad battery cable will show the pack voltage OK, but can't contribute the needed amps when called for.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #30
Bstypula7676
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Well after doing all troubleshooting, i came up with defective controller. It shows 22v at motor no matter position of accelerator pedal. Now to chose between 300amp and 500amp. Thanks for help.
Keep you posted.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car