lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #21
mwetter2@msn.com
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Charger for Allied drop ins

The capacity meter is not that accurate. It changes after charging. Should stabilize after sitting awhile.
mwetter2@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2020, 09:36 AM   #22
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Charge them again in case the BMS in one or more batteries were shunting current and the others are not fully charged yet.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #23
ozycart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlPack View Post
I installed my Allied Batteries yesterday and everything is working fine (thanks to Sergio teaching me how to properly remove my OBC). However, last night I disconnected their lithium charger after the SOC meter read 100% and the charger shut off. This meant the batteries were fully charged.
I'm swear I'm not an idiot about electrical/mechanical stuff, and I read the whole thread on removing the OBC plus Sergio's post to you here (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1689196), but for some reason this just isn't clicking in my brain.

I have a 2008 Precedent with the divider in the middle of the battery tub and 4 12v batteries. I have the Allied 60ah pack of 4 batteries I'm planning on installing this weekend.

If I understand Sergio's post to you, I need to

1) Cap off gray wire coming off charger receptacle -- do not connect to anything anymore

2) Find negative 10ga wire from charger receptacle -- unplug this from the OBC and instead extend it to go to controller B- (what controller B- is I don't know, but I'm hoping that will become obvious when I look at the controller wiring).

3) Find 10ga black negative output from OBC and disconnect where it is crimped together with a 6ga pack negative cable at controller B- (seems to be a ton of stuff at controller B- if I understand this right)

4) Leave 6ga pack negative cable connected to controller B- (but you replaced with a 2ga?)

Is this right, at least for your cart? I'm wondering if my '08 is totally different.

Edit: And, after re-reading many pages of the OBC removal thread, I see comments that after removing the OBC, you have to manually monitor the charging so as not to overcharge. I am guessing that isn't true when using the Allied charger/batteries as they have their own BMS which would cut off charging, right? That said, I'd like whatever changes I make to be reversible.

I'm not sure why I find the OBC removal thread so confusing, but I do. It doesn't seem like there is one set of straightforward directions on what to do (and any possible side effects/consequences) for each different cart model.
ozycart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:31 PM   #24
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

I'll defer to Sergio because he saved my bacon. Everything up until your edit looks right. Additionally you'll need to cut light blue and white wire on the harness and tie them together. This is on the bottom side of that 6 pin plug going to your OBC.

I removed my OBC.

As for the charging, i bought the allied charger and it shuts off when they are fully charged.

My most recent question pertained to the batteries going from 100% at charger shut off to 87% overnight (i unplugged the charger before going to bed).

It happened again last night. Not sure what's going on there.

Hope this helps but Sergio is the expert.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:43 AM   #25
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

So I've had the Allied batteries installed for 3 days now. Each morning I have looked at my SOC and it has read 87%/88% (charger unplugged around 10pm previous night, SOC 100% 15 min after unplugging).

Should I be concerned something is wrong?

I reached out to Allied on Monday and was told I needed to wait 15min after unplugging my charger to ensure it started with 100%. Apparently that is required to make sure it has an accurate reading. I've now done that the last two nights.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:51 AM   #26
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did You try re-charging it again in the morning?

Do all 4 batteries have the exact same voltage?
Old 02-20-2020, 07:53 AM   #27
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Did You try re-charging it again in the morning?

Do all 4 batteries have the exact same voltage?

Yes, I have recharged them each morning.

I haven't tested each battery.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:11 AM   #28
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I thought You said You charged them at night and checked the SOC in the morning.

Definitely check that each battery has the same voltage, if not, plug the charger again and again until they are all the same voltage.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #29
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I thought You said You charged them at night and checked the SOC in the morning.

Definitely check that each battery has the same voltage, if not, plug the charger again and again until they are all the same voltage.
I charged them til it cut off (SOC meter said 100%). At 11pm, Unplugged and waited 15 min. Checked again and it still said 100%.

Went to bed. Woke up at 7am and checked SOC (still unplugged) and it has read 87%.

My concern lies with it draining so much overnight while still unplugged from the charger.

My understanding is these should only drop 1% or so per month. Mine are dropping 13% overnight.

Ill check each as you suggested.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #30
ozycart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlPack View Post
I charged them til it cut off (SOC meter said 100%). At 11pm, Unplugged and waited 15 min. Checked again and it still said 100%.

Went to bed. Woke up at 7am and checked SOC (still unplugged) and it has read 87%.

My concern lies with it draining so much overnight while still unplugged from the charger.

My understanding is these should only drop 1% or so per month. Mine are dropping 13% overnight.

Ill check each as you suggested.
After one night of this, don't charge them -- let them go a second night without charging and see if you get a second similar drop or if it just holds around the 87%.
ozycart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car