lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
Malebolgia
Not Yet Wild

Default BigBattery 48V lithium upgrade

For folks looking for a relatively cheaper lithium upgrade I have finished installing the BigBattery 48V BDGR 2x Gen1 kit in my parent's 2008 EZGO RXV.

I was able to grab one of the lower capacity Gen1 kits for $989.99 shipped last year and did a quick install in January as my father passed away and I didn't want my mother to have to deal with battery maintenance. Just got back from another visit and did more cleanup on the install and it continues to work out well for her needs.

This is a stock controller cart with slightly oversized wheels in Buckeye AZ where it is dead flat so it may not work as well for folks in more extreme circumstances. Have had no over current situations and the pack has performed flawlessly even with the QuiQ-1000 charger that came with the cart. I have the programming setup for the QuiQ and will probably upload a lithium specific profile but the BMS handles charging disconnect so the QuiQ just errors out and as long as she unplugs it before charging again it works well.

I made a drop-in plywood floor for the battery tray just to make things easier and I can post the dimensions of that if anyone is interested. I also used a simple digital volt meter to replace the old battery guage and with some quick hole saw work and a ferrule crimper I was able to reuse the plug and original location.

This setup is just a straight 48V output so needed to add a 13.8V regulator as this older cart just used a single 12V battery connection to run the accessories.
Malebolgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2021, 09:25 AM   #2
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: BigBattery 48V lithium upgrade

I am shopping for my 2015 RXV and very interested in this battery now. lol

mine has been tuned to run about 27-29mph just not sure which would will suit the amp draw needs. I have a lester summit ii charger as well that i believe will work but im not sure.
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:21 PM   #3
Malebolgia
Not Yet Wild

My cart only has the factory freedom mode unlocked so it goes about 19-20 MPH so not the most extreme setup...lol

One of the nice features of the BDGR is it is modular so if you need more peak current or capacity you can add more packs in parallel. Each pack gives you 63/126A continuous/peak and 33/40Ah (Gen2 vs Gen2) so a 3x kit would be 189/378A and 99/120Ah and they sell a 4x kit as well but for the RXV it might be a bit harder to fit 4 of them in the stock battery tray.

For my mom's needs of getting mail and trips to the clubhouse it has been working great and my peace of mind from the maintenance free aspect is huge. I will probably still build a custom LiFePO4 kit, because I enjoy tinkering, but this has been a good stop gap at a very reasonable price at the time. I ended up purchasing a spare battery tray so I was able to do a lot of the prep work in my workshop and just button things up there.

I stupidly did not take pictures but I am going back out there next month and will grab a few then. I did not like the cables they came with so I made a custom setup using 6ga Vu-Tron from each pack to the terminal block and 4ga Vu-Tron to the controller.
Malebolgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You'll want to program the charger to cut off the charge cycle sooner rather than later. The BMS should be a backup in case the charger has an issue.

But that looks like a pretty easy and quick lithium upgrade. Nice!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO