lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2021, 09:56 PM   #1
Boltfan1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 98 EZGO DCS Upgrade Help

I picked up a 36 volt 1998 EZGO DCS yesterday. The body is in fantastic condition and it has a six inch lift with 23" tires. The batteries are shot so my thought is to convert it to a 48volt cart. It currently has an Alltrax NCX 300DCS controller and I believe the original stock 36 volt motor. I can't read anything on the motor (all worn off) so I believe it is the original. I am thinking of going with a new Alltrax XCT48500, new 400amp solenoid, new 2 gauge cables. My question is will this setup work with the old 36 volt motor? What other parts would I need besides new 48 volt charger? Will the original forward and reverse switch (hockey puck style) work?
Boltfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2021, 12:14 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 98 EZGO DCS Upgrade Help

Old motor will work, but keep in mind you have put two big "non stock" forces in front of it, huge tires AND a big controller. If you wanted to go "48v" without "big amps" AND "big tires" together, I'd say you'd be golden. You are seriously pushing the envelope. Fortunately for you, when the motor does die, its unlikely you will kill the good stuff you already have.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Old motor will work, but keep in mind you have put two big "non stock" forces in front of it, huge tires AND a big controller. If you wanted to go "48v" without "big amps" AND "big tires" together, I'd say you'd be golden. You are seriously pushing the envelope. Fortunately for you, when the motor does die, its unlikely you will kill the good stuff you already have.
I agree! Proceed with the upgrade and keep in mind that one day you will need that upgraded motor.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:48 PM   #4
Boltfan1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Thanks for the input. Can anyone confirm if I need to upgrade F/R Switch?
Old 01-25-2021, 07:52 PM   #5
Boltfan1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
I agree! Proceed with the upgrade and keep in mind that one day you will need that upgraded motor.
I am on the fence and may just break down and buy the new motor as a package deal from David Hicks at Revolution. Any ideas on what is the best all around motor I should go with since I have the bigger tires? The cart will be used for Neighborhood drives with moderate hills.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:41 PM   #6
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltfan1 View Post
I am on the fence and may just break down and buy the new motor as a package deal from David Hicks at Revolution. Any ideas on what is the best all around motor I should go with since I have the bigger tires? The cart will be used for Neighborhood drives with moderate hills.
A 400 amp controller with any of the motors David sells will be good. D&D are good motors. The forward and reverse doesn't need upgrading on a DCS cart, as it is only micro switches that sends signals to the controller that actually does the reversing inside.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:42 PM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

David will point you in the right direction. Give him a call.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #8
Boltfan1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
David will point you in the right direction. Give him a call.
Thank you!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO