lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2021, 12:22 AM   #1
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Suspension/Tire Change with LiFePO4?

I’m fixing up my 2006 CC DS. I’ve got my LiFePO4 battery ordered, an AC conversion kit, and 10” wheels. I chose Kenda Pro Tour tires for the new wheels, but I’m a little concerned about a rougher ride with less weight and lower profile tires. Should I go for 65 profile tires instead of the 50s? Primary use is golf.
ACHiPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2021, 05:40 AM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: Suspension/Tire Change with LiFePO4?

The more rubber between the wheels and ground mean better ride quality, however little improvement that might be.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:09 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

If your ride is primarily smooth roads\paths, you may want to consider removing your rear shocks. I've not done that but some post here have and like the softer ride that provides.

Just be aware that if you travel over large bumps....do go fast or you could "spring" off anyone in the back seat!!

I had a 4 leaf HD spring setup on my EZ-GO TXT. I removed two leaf's on each side and it made a big difference. My kidney's thanked me a bunch!!

I use my cart 99% off road for hunting. The washboard surface of some fields I travers requires shocks or I would spring myself off the cart!!

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:09 AM   #4
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
The more rubber between the wheels and ground mean better ride quality, however little improvement that might be.
Thanks. Will the higher profile 20/10-10 tire work on a stock DS suspension?
Old 01-25-2021, 06:14 AM   #5
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
If your ride is primarily smooth roads\paths, you may want to consider removing your rear shocks. I've not done that but some post here have and like the softer ride that provides.

Just be aware that if you travel over large bumps....do go fast or you could "spring" off anyone in the back seat!!

I had a 4 leaf HD spring setup on my EZ-GO TXT. I removed two leaf's on each side and it made a big difference. My kidney's thanked me a bunch!!

I use my cart 99% off road for hunting. The washboard surface of some fields I travers requires shocks or I would spring myself off the cart!!

FWIW
I saw that discussion, but removing the shocks seems like a bad idea for driving on a golf course. Other threads also indicate there doesn’t seem to be a lower spring rate spring available, which is why I wondered about using bigger tires and lower pressure.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:28 AM   #6
Airstream65
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I’m contemplating ordering Kenda tires as well. Currently, I have 205/50/10, and the ride is a little rough. I’m hoping the 20.5” tires don’t rub, I also have a 1” lift.
Airstream65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #7
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
I’m fixing up my 2006 CC DS. I’ve got my LiFePO4 battery ordered, an AC conversion kit, and 10” wheels. I chose Kenda Pro Tour tires for the new wheels, but I’m a little concerned about a rougher ride with less weight and lower profile tires. Should I go for 65 profile tires instead of the 50s? Primary use is golf.
I would definitely go with the most sidewall you can. Not familiar with those tires, but in general the added sidewall will give you some flex.

I have 14" wheels / 23" tires (radials, fairly stiff and obviously fairly small sidewall) and I have to think 12" wheels with the same 23" tires would be better for smoothing out the type of bumps you'd get on a golf course. I ride almost exclusively on paved surfaces, but some of the cart paths have expansion joints that are uneven (like roots on a golf course) and after going lithium it was a bit rougher.

I ultimately took a leaf out of the front, and settled on ~12psi all around.

I do like having less sidewall for cornering / handling stability though, esp. since my cart has a modest (factory) a-arm lift, but it doesn't help when you encounter bumps like that.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #8
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

tweels , if you can afford them .....

https://tweel.michelinman.com/golf-cart-products.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tweel-Golf-LG-1199x606.jpg (120.6 KB, 0 views)
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:44 AM   #9
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
tweels , if you can afford them .....

https://tweel.michelinman.com/golf-cart-products.html
Hmmm. Well those are...interesting?
Old 01-25-2021, 10:45 AM   #10
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
I would definitely go with the most sidewall you can. Not familiar with those tires, but in general the added sidewall will give you some flex.

I have 14" wheels / 23" tires (radials, fairly stiff and obviously fairly small sidewall) and I have to think 12" wheels with the same 23" tires would be better for smoothing out the type of bumps you'd get on a golf course. I ride almost exclusively on paved surfaces, but some of the cart paths have expansion joints that are uneven (like roots on a golf course) and after going lithium it was a bit rougher.

I ultimately took a leaf out of the front, and settled on ~12psi all around.

I do like having less sidewall for cornering / handling stability though, esp. since my cart has a modest (factory) a-arm lift, but it doesn't help when you encounter bumps like that.
Heard back from the tire folks. I can't run the larger profile tires without a lift, and I don't want to do that. I guess I'll just play with inflation and hang on over bumps. The Kendas are at least bias ply (4-ply I think?) so should be more compliant than radials.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car