lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax Controller or Low Gears?

End results will be the same........buying a new controller. Just different steps to get to the same place.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter B View Post
If you do this as AS350 mentioned, you will be just as bad as a bad boy buggy! (the basic 2wd model)

Both "The Beast" and "Bad Boy" (both very nice machines) are nothing more than super tricked out EZGO's
Where can I find more info on these rigs?

Rob
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

http://www.badboybuggies.com/
http://www.beast48.com/

google search...........funny how it works.
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by as350pilot View Post
End results will be the same........buying a new controller. Just different steps to get to the same place.
in the op's scenario, buy a new controller is like putting a bigger engine in your car because it doesn't take off very good in 3rd gear.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #15
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I am going to get stoned for this but whatever. I have to disagree with Scotty. I have driven a bad boy buggy, I have driven my brother's sepex with a 400 amp and I have driven my 48 with 700amp controller. Mine is a two wheel drive bad boy buggy (comparable). A 36 volt with a 400amp controller is NOT. It IS however more than most people will ever need for a hunting buggy and I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Just to clarify. Hope you appreciate some honesty.
Hillbilly Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Deluxe View Post
I am going to get stoned for this but whatever. I have to disagree with Scotty. I have driven a bad boy buggy, I have driven my brother's sepex with a 400 amp and I have driven my 48 with 700amp controller. Mine is a two wheel drive bad boy buggy (comparable). A 36 volt with a 400amp controller is NOT. It IS however more than most people will ever need for a hunting buggy and I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Just to clarify. Hope you appreciate some honesty.
Are you comparing 36 to 48v? No there is not much equal to compare .... are you comparing 400a to 700amps? Are you just saying go big spend twice as much and get more than most people need? I'm trying to follow you here.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
i vote gears.

if all you want is more torque, you need to lower the gear ratio. this will decrease the load on the controller. going with a larger controller just gives the motor the current it is asking for at the current load/gear ratio. you will get more torque, but at the cost of added current consumption. ie: shorter runs times, longer charge times, shorter battery service life.

gearing down is the most practical first step.
-sj
You know a lot about electricity but really how many golf carts have you geared down? Or for that matter how many golf carts have you ridden in or seen or heard of that were geared down? ...there are only a few (about 3) I know of ....
Old 09-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #18
ColbyKiller
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
...there are only a few (about 3) I know of ....
What were those results? Price difference? Ease of labor for a gear swap in these? I'm an industrial mechanic and do some automotive work sort of as a hobby. I've changed rear axle gears in a Dana 80 before as well as many industrial applications. I can't imagine these would be terribly hard, but from the sounds of it, the controller upgrade is definitely going to be the quicker/easier route. Especially if programmed correctly. Do you do the programming before the controller gets sent out or...???

Would you mind sending me a PM with a quote for said controller/cable upgrade?

The only reason the gearing came up as a question to me was because I've seen first hand how a gear swap can help in a vehicle and it only made sense to make it easier on the motor/controller for this cart in my head, but I'm sure that most here know more than me on this spectrum of vehicle whether the motor is up to it as long as it has a controller that is programmed and sized to handle what I'm after. If that's the case, I'm game for the cheaper/easier/quicker route. Who knows, I may end up liking it enough to end up keeping it and making it eat some of the name brand buggies' lunch. Just need the right first steps I guess.

Thanks for the info people, I really do appreciate it. Don't be surprised if I ask for some more info from you all though. I can only use the search button so much without ripping my hair out reading every thread to decipher which parts and pieces actually pertain to what I'm using and going after. Anyway, thanks again.
ColbyKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #19
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

none. i do, however, have enough experience in the optimization of electric powertrain in smaller systems to know that gearing down increases bottom end torque while also decreasing watts consumed. just because not too many people do it (myself included), doesn't make it not the most practical first step to solving the op's problem.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
none. i do, however, have enough experience in the optimization of electric powertrain in smaller systems to know that gearing down increases bottom end torque while also decreasing watts consumed. just because not too many people do it (myself included), doesn't make it not the most practical first step to solving the op's problem.
-sj
I think ezgo is the only cart offered in a lower gear ratio 15:1 is standard in the workhorse and available for around $600. But it is not exactly a big difference from the standard cart 12.44:1.
My bet is price and % of torque increase is the reason we don't see more gear lowering. I could be wrong...

Tags
gear, gears, high, low, torque
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO