lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
NBE
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Powering winch after lithium conversion?

OTHER THAN using a lead acid battery to power a winch after converting to lithium, what are the options, including using the lithium battery pack?

I have read here that winches draw too many amps to use a DC converter and I do not want to use a lead acid battery to power it so what are my choices?

I have a 2010 RXV and will probably go with a 14S pack. I have not decided what kind, etc., but for the sake of discussion let's use the Nissan Leaf modules or Chevy Volt as examples, as these seem to be the most popular or most available. Of course, if anyone has options regarding other brands of batteries, please feel free to jump in too.

Just looking for some ideas and suggestions.

Thanks!
Brad
NBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Powering winch after lithium conversion?

I'm not a lithium guy, but do you already have the winch? If so, telling folks the make/model, and/or max amps will help. Also, worst case duration of max amp pull. 60 seconds?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Running a 12v winch on 24v is discussed a lot in other forums such as Unimogs and such. Some have run them with no trouble, but the control relays do not like it. If you took two leaf modules and only charged to 4v per cell you’d have 16v, a quality winch may live at that. Let us know. Get a 24v winch and 3 extra modules.
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I use a 47ah, 4S pack from part of a Chevy Volt pack for my on board accessories. I charge it with a regular 12V charger. I am going to parallel it to make 94ah, but haven't bothered to do it yet. I'll likely do that once I get the stereo and subwoofer rewired in the cart.

But as a 12v source for a winch I probably wouldn't use 47ah pack for that. The doubled 94ah would probably be OK, but you have no LV cutoff in a winch... So you'd need to be mindful to not let it get to 12.0 or lower V.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:13 AM   #5
NBE
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I'm not a lithium guy, but do you already have the winch? If so, telling folks the make/model, and/or max amps will help. Also, worst case duration of max amp pull. 60 seconds?
Yes, I've had the winch on the cart for almost five years. It's a 3000 lb winch and it's 12 volts and it seems to have a separate solenoid or relay for the winch operation. I haven't traced the wiring all of the way yet but I'll check out the specs tomorrow and report back.

Looks like it's probably going to be more trouble than it's worth. Will have to mull this one over for a while.

Thanks!
Brad
NBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:22 AM   #6
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How has the winch been powered so far?
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO