lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #1
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Default No start...sometimes

Last year I put on voltage regulator, starter (the Chinese one was garbage but the high dollar one was good, and battery.

In March, I found the battery was low on fluid so I added 2/3 of a gallon.

Now, it usually starts first thing, but after that it doesn't want to spin.

Battery voltage is 12.6 and 12.2 when I'm hitting the starter. It showed 18.1 when it was running.

After I drive it, it doesn't do anything when I press the pedal.

It spins fine when I pull the plug.

So, is it electrical (battery or voltage regulator) or is it something else?

Appreciate the help!

Nathan
Nlb7928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: No start...sometimes

My home grade battery load tester showed good. The volt meter showed 12.5 at rest and 12.0 on pressing the pedal. Noi, it wasn't even turning over with the plug out. I could get the starter to spin a few revs if I helped it (do not recommend). Even with a jumper pack the starter wasn't spinning. However, I still suspected the battery so I made the long trek in town and...the battery was good.

I've got the starter off and I'm going to take it to the electrical shop I got it from to see if they can test it.

I guess.

Nathan
Old 06-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #3
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Second thought, I bench tested it at home and it spins like a champ.

What next???
Old 06-13-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Check your connections and check your grounds.

And check your voltage regulator. If it’s running 18.1v when it’s running then you’re lucky if the battery is still good now. But if you continue to run it without fixing either the voltage reg or the generator then it won’t be good for very much longer. It should be under 15v when it’s running.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:15 PM   #5
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

I thought 18.1 seemed high...but wondered if I was doing it right by just holding the multimeter prongs on the battery terminals while it's running.

I think it must be the solenoid. Which I thought was only 2 years old. But I think that's the mostly likely culprit with the voltage regulator being a secondary issue.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:45 PM   #6
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

When I saw a solenoid was $50+ I went through the testing process and think it passed ok. However, I have noticed that the engine seems incredibly difficult to turn over by hand.

Then, as I am doing this test, with a jumper pack hooked up (it has digital readout and shows 12.5 resting and 12.0 cranking), it's turning over so slowly and I got a huge backfire or something. It sounded more like over compression, it didn't seem to be spinning fast enough to fire the plug. I guess more exploration tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:15 AM   #7
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

I don't know if the solenoid is good.

When I test across the small terminals with starter engaged I get 10.5. The big ones are 12.5 and 11.9. The battery shows 12.61volts.

Is this passable? At least it was spinning slowly this morning. Yesterday, it would only do about 1 revolution every 5 seconds, sometimes slipping on the belt and sometimes doing nothing.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You could always jump the solenoid with a screwdriver if you suspect it.

But for everything else, maybe you can take a video so we can see exactly what’s going on? Sometimes it’s hard to explain and lots get lost in translation.

It’s not uncommon for these motors to spin slow to get past the compression stroke. They’re 165-170psi compression with no decompression release like a lot of small high compression engines have. You could also try and remove the spark plug and see if it spins faster
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

You can read all of the volts you want but on the starting circuit (big cable circuit) you need AMPS.
If the starter/generator checked good it sounds like you have a bad cable connection in the positive or negative cables, corroded cable ends or a bad solenoid.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #10
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

How do I jump the solenoid? Big to big, or big the little? If so which big to which little?

I hear clicking, and it looks like I have voltage...how do I test amps?

I will check my wires also.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car