lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2021, 10:10 AM   #1
jlsusa
Not Yet Wild

Default '10 Gas Precedent won't start when hot

Rookie cart owner here who is enjoying the challenges of buying a used cart.

My '10 Precedent won't start after being run for some time (typically holes 7-9). The solenoid will click, but engine does nothing. After waiting approximately 5 minutes it consistently starts back up. Interestingly it will then run fine for several more holes until it does it again. It does become more frequent later in the round.

Over the summer I've replaced the battery, solenoid, starter, micro switches, voltage regulator, fuel pump, and spark plug. - no luck!

I thought it would be the voltage regulator causing the starter to get too hot, as a voltage meter reads 14.5 when running. Changing the voltage regulator didn't fix the problem or the 14.5 reading.

What should I replace next? I really appreciate the help and honestly am enjoying the process, I'm just ready for a solution! THANK YOU
jlsusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2021, 07:33 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: '10 Gas Precedent won't start when hot

14.5 output is fine, check all of your ground cables for corroded connections at the mounting points and the cable ends as well.
Not just battery cables but engine to frame also.
Corrosion causes resistance and heat and chokes off the amps needed to turn the starter.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #3
jlsusa
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the suggestion on checking the ground connections - will do! Any chance you think it could be the ignition coil?
Old 09-10-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Ignition coil won’t stop the engine from cranking. It will spin over and not run, but it won’t cause the engine to do nothing at all.

If the solenoid clicks then the microswitches and signal side are good. Verify voltage on both sides of the solenoid. They should both be same as the source (battery) voltage.

Then verify voltage and ground at the starter/gen itself. Make sure it’s getting what it needs. And check a loaded continuity from the starter ground to the negative battery post. Check resistance while trying to crank the engine to load up the circuit. You can have perfect continuity to ground (less than 2 ohms) through a single strand of wire while everything is at rest. But when you apply a heavy load to the circuit, bad connections can very quickly be exposed through a voltage drop test.

I’d diagnose the issue completely before throwing any more parts at it.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:53 PM   #5
jlsusa
Not Yet Wild

Again, thank you for the help. When the cart starts the voltage on the engine side of the solenoid reads 12. When I have the issue of not starting, the solenoid clicks, but the voltage reads 0. Does this indicate the problem is the solenoid? Thanks!!!
Old 09-29-2021, 06:24 AM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Yes it does, where are you getting your replacement parts?
Unfortunately, most electrical parts need to be OEM to get years of consistent reliability.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car