lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Default DS brake shoe adjustment

2004 DS. One drum off and one drum on......Have removed the cable/pin from the rear brake assembly. One drum came off with great effort. Can't get the other one off....yet! On a Precedent you can remove the rubber cover behind the brake plate and with a screw driver back off the adjusting wheel to loosen the shoes. I do not see that set up external available on a DS.The adjusting screw assembly is readily available when the drum is off. There is a nut behind the rear brake cover that tightens to the right, loosens when centered, and tightens to the left. I can't find the purpose of that nut. I'm wondering if that is an an adjusting nut of some kind. I can beat on the drum for another hour or so, but I'd appreciate any tips anyone might be able to provide.
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: DS brake shoe adjustment

access the star wheel from back of brakes, under rubber cover

Quote:
There is a nut behind the rear brake cover that tightens to the right, loosens when centered, and tightens to the left. I can't find the purpose of that nut. I'm wondering if that is an an adjusting nut of some kind. I can beat on the drum for another hour or so, but I'd appreciate any tips anyone might be able to provide
that sounds like a 2002 and older cart ... post a photo of brakes with drum you removed
Old 03-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Here is a pic of the backside of the brake plate. I have already reinstalled everything on the right side. I will be glad to take it off for a pic, but the internals looked identical to the Precedent set-up that I have worked on many times
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160326_182800.jpg (171.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #4
crash test dummy

worked on tons of DS carts ... never seen that

hammer away
Old 03-26-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Well...........yoiks!! I was hoping for something like.....that's simple......just.....do this!!!

It's never that easy is it?

The cart is not mine. I'm working on it for a friend to figure out his battery, and Curtis "fuel gauge" functioning. I have learned a lot about the latter if anyone has questions. The Curtis is a 906T48HGAAO. I have figured out that it is working as designed, but not as anticipated.

thx for your assistance.....
Old 03-26-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Well........I removed the nut from the stud bolt. The bolt wiggles a bit now, and I believe it helped loosed things a bit however............the drum is still currently winning the battle. I suspect that there is a ridge on the outer edge of the brake shoes that is causing the problem I am currently able to pull the drum about halfway off the shoe.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #7
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Well...........finally. Regarding the unknown stud/nut. If you look in the middle of the pic you will see a threaded cylinder inside the U shaped piece. You will also see a piece that looks rectangular. If you look closely you will also see a third piece that is actually between the cylinder and the rectangular piece It is the end of a hex bolt and in the pic cuts across the rectangular piece at about a 60 degree angle.

When I slide the bolt ( from the back of the brake plate ) left and right the brake shoe slider moves with it. When I push on the bolt the slider, and bottom of the shoes will push outward.

I'm not real certain of it's purpose. Perhaps it is an adjustment that allows you to center the shoes. Also note the "star wheel" adjustment to the left of the U shaped piece of metal. It works like diagrams you see. It just isn't accessible from the rear even with the rubber dust shield removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160326_203537.jpg (221.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #8
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Here is a pic of the a part on the brake backplate. Note the metal piece. The right side faces forward. You can see the hole where the hex stud goes through the plate. The nut fits on that hex stud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160326_212405.jpg (250.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
McVille100
Not Yet Wild

Go to AutoZone and buy a $17 gear puller. I had a drum that would not budge, beat on it till I was sure I would break the drum. Using the puller, it came right off. Put some anti-seize lube on the axle before re-installing drum.
McVille100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #10
LJ12530
Gone Wild

I must admit I was about to do that. I need to get the cart done by tomorrow AM so I just kept beating, prying, cussing and drinking Sam Adams.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car