lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
billfarley
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Run does not engage

2013 Precedent. I usually switch to tow so I can push it out of my crowded garage. A few days ago when I switched to run it still rolled easy and would not run. Like it was still in tow. After a minute or so of switching the run/tow and the F-N-R it started working and ran normally that day and the next couple of days. Including the tow/run routine with the garage. This morning when I pushed it out and switched to run it happened again, but this time it did not start working.

I bought this cart used a year ago. Replaced all batteries about 3 weeks ago.

From reading this forum I am thinking I should try OBC reset. Should I? Also, the battery vendor told me to run the new batteries down before recharging. I don't drive cart very far so I have not recharged the new batteries yet as they seemed to still have juice. Dashboard voltmeter still reads over 47. Could low batteries cause my problem? Doesn't seem likely since it ran for a couple of days after problem first happened.

Your advice would be appreciated.
billfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Run does not engage

You have interpreted it wrong or received bad advice from the battery seller.

You need to charge your batteries at the end of the the day when you are done ridding, regardless how long you drove the cart.

At 47v, you are very close to cause some permanent damage to the batteries, please charge them ASAP.

Just curious, but the Precedent Excel has a very smooth throttle at low speed, why are you not using its own power to backup out of the garage?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Double what Sergio said...

When not in motion plug that sucker in, or at least at the end of the day!
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Just curious, but the Precedent Excel has a very smooth throttle at low speed, why are you not using its own power to backup out of the garage?
In truth this is easier than pushing the beast... I park a car right outside of the garage door where I part the cart so there is not a lot of room but with the fine control in the pedal I've got no issues with snaking in and out...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
billfarley
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the responses. My pedal does not have fine control, so I am concerned about hitting the car that is parked right outside the garage. Sounds like group advice is to charge the batteries. Any thoughts if that may be my problem?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
billfarley
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I put it on the charger. Hope that solves it. I will search here for threads about battery charging, but a quick question. The company that sold me the cart (not the battery vendor) told me to put it in tow mode for charging. What about that? Good? Not needed?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, not only low voltage would cause your problem, but leaving the cart unplugged from the charger (even if not charging) will put the OBC to sleep after 3 days and cause a delay the first time you try to use it.

You should not put the cart on tow for charging.

The main reason is that the battery warning light will not work so You would not know if you are experiencing a charging problem.

The only time You should put the cart on Tow is when you plan to go on vacation and the cart will not be used for over a few weeks.

You should still leave the charger plugged so the OBC can initiate a "refresh" charging cycle every 15 days.

if you are not getting smooth speed control, your MCOR is the culprit.

I can easily move my cart inches at the time with the throttle, try a quick clean up of your MCOR by putting the FNR in neutral and fully pressing and releasing the pedal 30 times or so.

The internal wiper arm of the MCOR will glide over the resistive track and remove any minor oxidation that maybe causing signal fluctuations.

The thread below will give You an idea what the inside of the MCOR looks like:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-01-04-ds.html
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I find it hard to believe that in 2016 Battery venders and cart dealers are still practicing and spreading so much mis-information about such a simple thing as a wet cell battery discovered in 1800 (by Volta) and remaining virtually unchanged and in use for 200 years!!!!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #9
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

at 47 volts your batteries are below 30% charge
often i don't use my cart to go far, sometimes only 300 ft between the house and shop
i charge at 49.5 volts sometimes a week in between charges

_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
billfarley
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I hope I didn't damage my new set of batteries.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car