lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
innotivity
Not Yet Wild

Default Gas in Oil - 2005 Workhorse 350cc

I have two identical Workhorses, both 2005 350cc. Both are run way harder than intended for design. (Recently bought beefier RTV to handle heaver workload)

A frequent issue is engine throwing major smoke. Every time, I check the oil level and it's way over and has gas in it. Oil much more clear, thin, and smells of gas. As I understand it, could be a fuel pump issue or can be valves. Are there other ways this can happen?

For the fuel pump, I figured a $15 dollar one off Amazon would be easier than a rebuild, only to see basically nothing that clearly fits the 2004 or later Robins. I adjusted the valves, and it seemed to help and the compression came easy.

If I pull apart the fuel pump(s), would I just be looking for holes in the diaphragm that the gas is eeking through?

Can extreme hard use (farm use) just mess the valves up again very quickly?

Are there other sources for gas getting into the oil pan?

Is there an inexpensive fuel pump? Checked EZ Go and it's $133. It seems they all look alike and all are made in China anyways.

I have no issues paying for two OEM fuel pumps at $133, but would feel stupid if I do and it still does not address the issue. Or if there is a reasonable priced one elsewhere.

Thank you all for your assistance on this matter.

Heading to the garage to pull compressions on both again and to crack a pump open.

VR,
DB
innotivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gas in Oil - 2005 Workhorse 350cc

Gas in the oil comes from worn rings, and possibly valve guides.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Gas in the oil comes from worn rings, and possibly valve guides.

Nope, usually caused by the needle valve in the carb sticking/not seating, allowing gas to flow into the cyclinder when not running
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
innotivity
Not Yet Wild

Pulling 170 psi pressure each cylinder. No idea how. Fuel pump pressure line is dry as a bone. Have had issues with the carb before. Is there a way to check that? Thanks for the help guys. This one is a long standing issue.

VR
DB
Old 12-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
innotivity
Not Yet Wild

Also remember the other complaint is the engine will not continue to run unless the choke is engaged.... am I about to pull the carb? Seems to be a focus of the problems then?
Old 12-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #6
innotivity
Not Yet Wild

Plugs were fouled as hell.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #7
andyd4ntx
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have had this happen twice over the years with my ST350, both times it was the fuel pump. Bought a generic pulse type pump from Amazon for $8 I didn't bother to attempt a rebuild. Also, I have put a disposable see thru fuel filter into the pulse line.
Andrew.
andyd4ntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
innotivity
Not Yet Wild

So, I replaced all my fuel lines with clear lines, and no fuel is getting from the fuel pump to the oil pan via the vacuum line. Somehow, there is a bunch of gas still dumping into the oil pan.

I had swapped in an inexpensive carb from Amazon, and will run a clear line from it to the oil pan as well to see if there is fuel running in that manner.

Does anyone know of any other way gas can get to the oil pan? It's overflowing now.

What else to check? Or is it time to get a new darn engine?
Old 01-29-2019, 01:44 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Engine will not cause fuel to go into the motor. IT's either fuel pump or carb. IF the fuel pump isn't the cause then the carb probably is.

If the gas is bleeding in overnight, you could always just install a $5 fuel petcock between the tank and the fuel pump, and turn the gas off when you're not using it. My club car carryall came with one on top of the tank though i've never used it, it's still there.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And toss the cheap amazon carb in the trash, it's good for nothing except maybe the float bowl gasket. Clean and rebuild your OEM carb really well. you'll thank yourself in the end.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO