lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Difference in rear axles

What is the main difference in a 1995 TXT gas golf cart and 2004 Workhorse MPT rear axle assembly ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Difference in rear axles

The reason I ask is I got a workhorse in my shop that is the TXT rear end in it. The original rear axle was removed but the person I talked to that did this didn't tell me why.

He said there was nothing wrong with it. ?

I actually went to his shop and picked up the one he removed. Just wondering why in the world would someone take the heavy duty out and install the TXT in it. I even got the engine which had a hole in block but I got spare parts now for the MCI engine.

This is a 2005 cart that had the MCI engine in it. He also installed the older Pre-MCI engine but never got it to fire. He didn't know that the ignition systems had been updated on these later carts. Different ignitors, coil and fan assembly. The older muffler was also used.

He was trying to make it fire using the later model coil and ignitor with the old model fan/flywheel and pulser. He just cut wires where coil connects and tried to make it work.

I got a mess but almost got it going. Fire is nice and blue now since installing older ignitor and coil that matches this 1999 pre-MCI pulser and flywheel plus wiring harness from older cart.

I just wonder how this older 9hp engine and rear axle will perform in this 2005 workhorse ? Will know soon. It might be better. This engine has 170 pounds of compression and looks like new under valve cover. Probably be confusing for the next person that works on this thing. :)

I wonder how I get into these messes. Updates later. Tom.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

My 2000 295 txt rips compared to my 2001 350 workhorse, I know there is a weight difference but just saying.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
TVH
Getting Wild

I have 2001.5 workhorse looks identical to Stovebolt but has the updated steering. Mine has the txt rear end in it and I did the Predator vtwin swap and love it. I think mine was electric before I bought it as a (roller) project. Did not have the ignition parts in it either which made it ideal for the vtwin. Had to buy a gas pedal/box and fnr shift assembly. Rear end was not native to the cart. I have never heard of these differentials going bad unless they are run dry. Don’t see them forsale either. Consider yourself fortunate to have 2 choices and pick the one that makes your cart faster.
TVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
My 2000 295 txt rips compared to my 2001 350 workhorse, I know there is a weight difference but just saying.
Thanks StoveBolt , I will let you know how this one works. I have it almost ready to test.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:29 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVH View Post
I have 2001.5 workhorse looks identical to Stovebolt but has the updated steering. Mine has the txt rear end in it and I did the Predator vtwin swap and love it. I think mine was electric before I bought it as a (roller) project. Did not have the ignition parts in it either which made it ideal for the vtwin. Had to buy a gas pedal/box and fnr shift assembly. Rear end was not native to the cart. I have never heard of these differentials going bad unless they are run dry. Don’t see them forsale either. Consider yourself fortunate to have 2 choices and pick the one that makes your cart faster.
I got several to pick from. Like you I never seen one of these go bad.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

are the gear ratios the same? Could be an interesting speed upgrade, I can't imagine the internals strength would be a lot different, we're only talking about a ~10hp motor. But thinking (guessing) the workhorse rear is geared lower for hauling/towing and the txt wasn't designed for that so geared to go faster?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

That's what I am trying to find out CP241. For some odd reason a TXT rear axle was installed in the one I bought which is the workhorse MPT .

I got the one that came from it and I was told it was good but that's all the man told me.

I stop asking him why he changed it. The engine that came out was the MCI but it is trashed.

I did go to his house and get the one that came from it for some parts that are good.

I got the cart firing today by changing from newer to older ignition parts that matches this older 9hp Pre-Mci they installed in cart. You can now light a cigar with the plug wires

I guess when I get everything else working I can tell you how it pulls. I got one hill next to my shop that is steep. I will load it up and see.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Can't you spin the hub and count rotations of the input shaft? That would tell you real fast
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:22 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Both brake drums are locked up right now from sitting outside for 6 months and will not move.

The rear axle is in the back of my older truck that I leave in shop at night.

When I get half way caught up I will free the brake hubs up and give that a try and see what the difference is. Tom
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO