lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #21
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: 2007 G29 Head Lights Pulsing

We've talked about this before, I don't recall if there was a fix, I recall someone using a different universal regulator. I don't know if you can vary the current to the field. Its because the new style solid state regulator just turns on and off so you get full charge and then no charge. The old mechanical you could turn down lower volts, or it didn't turn on/off as much, it didn't do this so obvious. The odd thing is I never recall my cart doing this until I put a clone in it, and then it did. The only difference is the ignitor is in the charge circuit and I don't have it in there anymore. I am sure there is a way to regulate 12v-13v if one figured it out. I have not bothered because I hardly use my lights. A car charges 13-14v all the time its running but usually never over 15 unless its very cold out.

My best guess is you just need a better regulator that switches on/off faster and so the voltage is better controlled. So first place I would look is at other brand carts that don't blink lol :)
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #22
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I did a little reading today and it said an old style automotive generator regulator would open and close about 50-200 times a second. You know, the old square metal can things. The Yamaha SS regulator is not doing this, it is 1-2 seconds between action. I would guess this is where the pulsing is from, either its faulty and still works or need to find one that is much faster, or some wiring issue is affecting it. Ezgo and CC regulators are ~$20, however there are different ways of wiring the field on the gen and I don't know if they are the same. Some gen the field is only 1 wire the Yamaha is 2. The 1 wire ground or power one wire in the gen, the other goes to VR.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:05 PM   #23
jeremy85
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
We've talked about this before, I don't recall if there was a fix, I recall someone using a different universal regulator. I don't know if you can vary the current to the field. Its because the new style solid state regulator just turns on and off so you get full charge and then no charge. The old mechanical you could turn down lower volts, or it didn't turn on/off as much, it didn't do this so obvious. The odd thing is I never recall my cart doing this until I put a clone in it, and then it did. The only difference is the ignitor is in the charge circuit and I don't have it in there anymore. I am sure there is a way to regulate 12v-13v if one figured it out. I have not bothered because I hardly use my lights. A car charges 13-14v all the time its running but usually never over 15 unless its very cold out.

My best guess is you just need a better regulator that switches on/off faster and so the voltage is better controlled. So first place I would look is at other brand carts that don't blink lol :)
Thanks for the reply!!

Today I did some tinkering, I hooked up my volt meter and went for a ride.
IT RUNS BETWEEN 16-17 VOLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking I new a new regulator and that's where I'm going to start. I'll let everyone know what happens!!
jeremy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #24
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

A different regulator might solve the problem, but need to figure out what one is compatible with this DC gen system. The gen will run 18v or something on full charge it puts out 15A. But a good regulator will turn it on/off fast enough it keeps it in check. The Yamaha one is not, they don't really care because a stock cart has no reason to, is my best guess. Someone should try to investigate running a CC or Ezgo one.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha