lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2019, 11:43 PM   #21
1thurston
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2000 Workhorse st350

Would anyone have a new OEM or working OEM used coil I could buy (295cc 352cc Robin) ? I have a 2000 ST 350 Workhorse, I'm convinced that's the problem. I was told by a dealer where I bought the aftermarket coil the OEM's are no longer available. I paid $130 for it and now second guessing that one under a load. Ebay does not have a OEM listed that I noticed. I've checked and replaced everything possible and I keep going back to the aftermarket coil. It does bench test good, my old coil test was bad, but both are doing the same thing. Thanks
1thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2019, 05:31 AM   #22
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

… opps
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #23
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I might be wrong but it looks to me like there is nothing wrong with your coil.
Use a test light and put it on each side of the coil , red and white wires while leaving them connected to coil) when you spin the engine over. Test light should flash when spinning engine over if all is good. Please let us know how that goes before you go a buy more parts.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #24
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I will include a youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrPP...ature=youtu.be

on what it is supposed to look like if it is firing correct. The white wire is hot when removed from coil and spinning the starter. As you can see in video the terminal that red wire goes to has a different flash than white wire on the test light. This is how yours should be.
Sorry about the quality but I was doing this with one hand. Check yours and let us know if it is the same

I also included a youtube video on how to check the spark. I highly encourage people to buy this type tester when checking these carts for fire. I always leave the other wire on spark plug when I test with this jewel of a tester. You will be surprised how many people work on these things checking for fire and not get 100% accurate test. This one will work.
CP241 will agree with me . Again I am sorry for the video not being prefect but I was again using one hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGYd...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #25
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Trig is right on the money. The inline spark testers lie. They just tell you "if" there is a spark. That doesnt mean it is strong enough to jump the gap or ignite the fuel.

Heres a link to help with the tester trig uses.
OTC 6589 Electronic Ignition Spark Tester https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050SFVO2..._rPb7DbXXDN1EE

This is the other kind that works. You can set the voltage (typically 20kv) and make sure it jumps the gap.
Thexton THE404 Spark Tester https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002STSBM..._xRb7DbGN17AS0

Personally, I just hold the plug against a bolt and watch the color. White spark is good. Any other color needs attention.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #26
1thurston
Not Yet Wild

Thank You for responding!! #1 all is good on the Red and White wire test when wires are connected to coil. One flashes and the other is solid while spinning over when connected to the coil. #2 Now on the YouTube video it shows white wire off coil and its HOT when spinning over. Testing my white wire and spinning over is Not HOT. The long spark plug wire will fire either plug its the short wire off the coil that don't spark. That's been case with the old and new coil.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:47 PM   #27
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Pay no attention to the colors of my wires as I bought this cart in a mess and rewired everything. I was trying to show what happens when everything is wired correct because my cart runs great.
The manual from a 1999 shows the white wires is coming from the solenoid so yours is right it appears.
I do find it strange that two coils do the same exact thing but I guess it is possible.
Maybe someone here has a coil you could try before you spend more money.
I am not sure I have a good one at my shop. I will check tomorrow.
In case you didn't see it here I uploaded the wiring diagram for your cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wires.jpg (171.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #28
1thurston
Not Yet Wild

Trig, I have walked through the wiring diagram a few times thinking I missed something. The funny thing is this happened overnight ran fine one day the next day no fire on one cylinder changed the coil same thing. Called the dealer where I bought it he convinced me no way the coil. That's when I completely removed all grounds cleaned up everything new bolts, new wire connectors where needed. Still same thing, 2 dealers/mechanics here in Iowa have never ran into this issue. Thank You Again
Old 12-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #29
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

This coil only has one signal input. It doesnt have a cylinder 1 and cylinder 2 inputs to separate the spark. So to me, if you have spark on one wire but not the other, my thoughts would be that it has to be the coil. I dont know what else it could be. But I also find it really hard to believe 2 coils do the exact same thing...

Use a spare spark plug and hold it to the same vslve.cover bolt with both wires and I'd make 100% sure that's the case. And make sure the spark is fat and white. If its blue or yellow its weak
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #30
1thurston
Not Yet Wild

What is the issue if the spark is week?

Tags
1 0f 2 coil firing
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO