lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #1
NEMESIS9
Getting Wild

Default Exhaust - HOT/Sluggish/Smoking

Just got the cart running - 3PG motor

Exhaust is putting off a massive amount of heat. It continues to visibly smoke for a good 5 min after stopped. Initially I thought I may just be burning residue/gas/etc off, but we're past the point I think that's reasonable.

My first guess is a clogged muffler. Any good way to verify? Any other issues I should be considering?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoAotwpkesM
NEMESIS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2020, 09:00 PM   #2
newtjl
Gone Wild

Default Re: Exhaust - HOT/Sluggish/Smoking

I know you just got the carb straightened out. I cant remember if you had adjusted the mixture at all when troubleshooting it. If its running lean, it can run really hot. Make your mixture a little richer and see if that cools it down any. If the old muffler was clogged up much, it wouldnt run well. It could burn off some residual oil in the muffler but like you said, that shouldnt take too long. I bet its a little lean.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I'm on my phone at work, so the video is too small to really look. Maybe newtjl can look at your exhaust video again to verify. I remember the bottom of the exhaust port looking coked up. It looked like someone was running too much oil. It could also explain why the compression is so high.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
newtjl
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I'm on my phone at work, so the video is too small to really look. Maybe newtjl can look at your exhaust video again to verify. I remember the bottom of the exhaust port looking coked up. It looked like someone was running too much oil. It could also explain why the compression is so high.
Cart is right. The exhaust is oily so Im sure the muffler is full of it as well. You can take the muffler off and roast it over a campfire. So long as you are running the correct oil/gas mix now, it will likely clear up though. Also a good call on the high compression, too much oil would cause both problems.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:14 PM   #5
NEMESIS9
Getting Wild

The extra oil caked up in the motor will eventually burn off?
Old 05-25-2020, 10:33 PM   #6
newtjl
Gone Wild

It appears you have some oil residue in the bottom of your exhaust port and more than likely in your muffler. The smoke you are seeing is that stuff burning off. Id still make sure the carb isnt too lean to be on the safe side as far is heat is concerned. But yes, if it runs well, I wouldnt worry about it. The previous owner likely ran a rich oil/gas ratio and it will burn off in time. I have had more than a few come to me for repair and the owner was running a 50:1 ratio because that is a common ratio for small two stroke engines and outboards. Its waaay too much oil for an ez go.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #7
NEMESIS9
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtjl View Post
It appears you have some oil residue in the bottom of your exhaust port and more than likely in your muffler. The smoke you are seeing is that stuff burning off. Id still make sure the carb isnt too lean to be on the safe side as far is heat is concerned. But yes, if it runs well, I wouldnt worry about it. The previous owner likely ran a rich oil/gas ratio and it will burn off in time. I have had more than a few come to me for repair and the owner was running a 50:1 ratio because that is a common ratio for small two stroke engines and outboards. Its waaay too much oil for an ez go.
Thanks for the response on this!

What ratio do you recommend? I've been doing 1oz per gallon.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:03 AM   #8
newtjl
Gone Wild

1 oz per gallon is the correct ratio recommended by the factory. If you are planning on running it hard, you may want run 85:1 or 1.5 oz per gallon.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I run mine hard, about 3 blocks to golf course each way wide open lol. That's about 22mph, I mix the 128:1 with no problems. With the help of someone one day years ago we/he accidentally put in 6oz oil to 5 gallon gas, it smoked. I stick to the 128:1 for sure now
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
NEMESIS9
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
I run mine hard, about 3 blocks to golf course each way wide open lol. That's about 22mph, I mix the 128:1 with no problems. With the help of someone one day years ago we/he accidentally put in 6oz oil to 5 gallon gas, it smoked. I stick to the 128:1 for sure now
Perfect. I'm in a hilly neighborhood and will be WOT most of the time. lol
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO