lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2020, 09:13 PM   #1
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default G16 wheels vs lift vs width ?

What kind of offset can my g16 run with a 6 inch lift. I'd like to be able to drive it in the truck (normal 4 ft wide bed). I'm looking at 12" wheels with 22 inch mud tires for my property, I'm getting stuck and need tread/ mud tires. I have maybe 4 to 6 inches of space in the truck between the wheels and truck wells.

Is there a way to calculate the total width? I'm looking at a set that doesn't look offset way back and says 3+4 but it sounds like I want 2+4 to be in closer. will 3+4 fit okay in the truck? Will 2+4 with the g16 and 22" tires rub or do I have to stay with 20"? I don't mind adding fenders, but less mud on the side and closer in would be better if doable. I think I'm inside the fenders currently with 10 inch rims and 20 tires and it seems fine when it was dry - not tipping over.

Website with offset explanation - https://www.bigskygolfcars.com/about-tires-and-wheels

Thread with no help- https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=65491

Frougal Dougs' website say the normal 8" diameter x 7" wide open wheels are centered. So if the wheel is 7 wide and has 3+4. It sounds like each wheel will only move out 1 inch more than oem? Just making sure https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=65491

Thanks!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Stewbuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2020, 07:11 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 wheels vs lift vs width ?

Measure the current stock setup on cart and see what the overall width is from outside to outside of the tire. Then look at the total width of the current rims. Then look at offset of the current rims.

Always go off of what you have in front of you and work your way backwards. I will say this, you will be hard pressed to find an offset that will help you more than the stock rims offset. Most cart wheels are 3+4 offset.

Now factor in the new width of the new wheels. Subtract the old width from the new width and divide that by two, that gives you your total increase in width on one side. If the old wheel is 8" wide and new is 10" wide, that's 1" wider on one side, or a total of 2" wider overall.

Now factor in your lift kit width. If the lift kit widens the track width by 3" overall, add that to your new width.

So a typical golf cart with a 6" lift and 22x10x12 tires will likely be 5" wider overall.

Add that 5" to your current track width. If you have an additional 6" of space currently, then it should work.

The issue comes with offset. Most lift kits will work with a 10" wide rim and a 3+4 offset. If you stay in that parameter, you shouldn't have any issues with rubbing. If you get a positive offset, wheel like a 2+4, that moves the tire inward, you might get rubbing issues on the control arm and/or frame.

You "could" order 2+4 wheels and try them to attempt to keep the track width less, and if it doesn't work, you can add 1" wheel spacers to get your 3+4 offset.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: G16 wheels vs lift vs width ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Measure the current stock setup on cart and see what the overall width is from outside to outside of the tire. Then look at the total width of the current rims. Then look at offset of the current rims.

Always go off of what you have in front of you and work your way backwards. I will say this, you will be hard pressed to find an offset that will help you more than the stock rims offset. Most cart wheels are 3+4 offset.

Now factor in the new width of the new wheels. Subtract the old width from the new width and divide that by two, that gives you your total increase in width on one side. If the old wheel is 8" wide and new is 10" wide, that's 1" wider on one side, or a total of 2" wider overall.

Now factor in your lift kit width. If the lift kit widens the track width by 3" overall, add that to your new width.

So a typical golf cart with a 6" lift and 22x10x12 tires will likely be 5" wider overall.

Add that 5" to your current track width. If you have an additional 6" of space currently, then it should work.

The issue comes with offset. Most lift kits will work with a 10" wide rim and a 3+4 offset. If you stay in that parameter, you shouldn't have any issues with rubbing. If you get a positive offset, wheel like a 2+4, that moves the tire inward, you might get rubbing issues on the control arm and/or frame.

You "could" order 2+4 wheels and try them to attempt to keep the track width less, and if it doesn't work, you can add 1" wheel spacers to get your 3+4 offset.
I was hoping someone had specifics for the Yamahas. Like 2+4 won't fit, 3+4 with my 6 inch Jake's lift fit in my truck etc.

The problem is not knowing the offset of the tires I currently have, probably zero. Supposedly the are oem, and I got them from a friend. He said they are left overs from when people buy new carts and upgrade their wheel package. it's a basic 10 inch steel rim with I think load star brand tires. I have seen that cheap brand on trailer tires also.

Another friend got new wheels and they stick out like 4 inches past the fenders, and I definitely don't want that.

A lot of the Steleng rims are 3+4 and I think 8 inches wide. They seem to be the best priced deal for DOT mud tires - $450-ish for a set of 4 from their website, and have mud lugs vs smaller tread patterns. I think they will fit, if not I guess can always drive over the wheel well - make a mini truck wheel well ram if I have to.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Stewbuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha