lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #11
DEWDIGGLER
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reverse...runs awesome Forward..runs bad

1st. check your compression. 99% of the time you run it forward so the rings can wear uneven.

then try a new condenser. (if the points arent pitted or worn)
the after market condensers are pretty much junk so if you can find a stock one it will last longer.

set your points at .015

good luck, Dew
DEWDIGGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
mopar92
Gone Wild

I'm almost positive he's got solid state ignition... no point. Its out of time it sounds like.
mopar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #13
roxyrose08
Getting Wild

Club Car

so any thing new?? hopefully you got it figured i plan on looking into mine on sunday. ill post any info i find!
roxyrose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
topdrive
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Nothing new yet, had to back burner it due to previous commitments. I ordered a manual for it so I am hoping to get back to it this week.
topdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:16 AM   #15
topdrive
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Reverse...runs awesome Forward..runs bad

Hello again, I know its been a while but things are looking up. I started fooling with this cart again this spring and after pulling the engine(to confirm my idiot mech. had the piston in correctly) which it was, I was in awe as to how easy these engines are to work on and I am kicking my *** for not doing it myself. Well after replacing everything......and I mean everything except the body and frame......this thing still ran like a p.o.s. I had purchased a couple of manuals for this engine so I went through them word by word and found a VITAL piece of info regarding the main jet setting on these carbs. After removing the BRAND NEW carb one more time and reading word for word, it seems you have to bend the little finger on the float assembly to regulate the needle valve. On my original carb and the replacement carb I had bought, both were letting WAY to much fuel in. So after bending the little tit up (a lot) and reinstalling the carb, WOW it runs like it should with no smoke and power to go up hills. My fuel filter now about 1/2 full when the engine is running as before it always looked empty. I am thinking when I purchased the cart it had some debris in the needle valve limiting the fuel flow and when it came free it was getting too much fuel(my theory only) Oh also I upped my oil/gas ratio to 80/1 from 50/1, the manual says 128/1 but that number scares me....lol. Anyhow all is well again, thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #16
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I too have a 1986 which I have just rebuilt. There are no points in this cart. You have a sensor behind the flywheel which is fired by two magnets on the flywheel itself. As you will be aware your cart selects reverse by running the starter in reverse and a 2 cycle will run happily in reverse. However the engine needs the spark to be slightly in advance of the piston reaching the top of the cylinder and if you were to set that in forward you can imagine that the spark would be way retarded in reverse. This is why there are two magnets to fire the spark, one for reverse and one for forward. Now if your cart runs perfectly in reverse (and it used to run perfectly in forward) there is nothing wrong with the carb or the engine in general. I suspect that one of the magnets has fallen off or that the clamp that holds the sensor (aka pulser) has become loose and the bracket has slipped all the way so that in reverse it is firing of the forward magnet and in forward it is just firing of a random spark. Either way I am sorry to say that you need to remove the engine. Take off the fan cover, remove the fan and pull off the flywheel. Now you will be able to see what is going down.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 AM   #17
topdrive
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
I too have a 1986 which I have just rebuilt. There are no points in this cart. You have a sensor behind the flywheel which is fired by two magnets on the flywheel itself. As you will be aware your cart selects reverse by running the starter in reverse and a 2 cycle will run happily in reverse. However the engine needs the spark to be slightly in advance of the piston reaching the top of the cylinder and if you were to set that in forward you can imagine that the spark would be way retarded in reverse. This is why there are two magnets to fire the spark, one for reverse and one for forward. Now if your cart runs perfectly in reverse (and it used to run perfectly in forward) there is nothing wrong with the carb or the engine in general. I suspect that one of the magnets has fallen off or that the clamp that holds the sensor (aka pulser) has become loose and the bracket has slipped all the way so that in reverse it is firing of the forward magnet and in forward it is just firing of a random spark. Either way I am sorry to say that you need to remove the engine. Take off the fan cover, remove the fan and pull off the flywheel. Now you will be able to see what is going down.
I guess some people don't read or can't read I'm not sure but if you are able to read, NO I don't need to pull my engine again to "see whats going down" as I stated in my post the engine runs PERFECT now since I readjusted the needle valve. After changing the PULSAR coil it still ran like a P.O.S. so you can't tell me it is the pulsar coil.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #18
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well in my eagerness to help you out I failed to notice that there were two pages to this post and that you had already resolved the issue. My sincere apologies for wasting your time. However in my defense when you look at your original question you clearly know squat about this engine and you even ask if there are two sets of points. The symptoms that you originally report would have nothing to do with the needle valve so you just got lucky. You on the other hand show the symptoms of being an ignorant, arrogant and rather rude douche. I am sure that in the future people will be clamoring to help you out.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #19
topdrive
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well look here.......you can READ.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #20
BigRed77
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

way to be appreciative of people trying to help
BigRed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO