lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
BajaBuggy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Solenoid Issues to Starter 97 Gas EZGo

I have a lifted 97 Gas Ezgo with a lot of things going on all at once so I'm not sure what is real or coincidence. I currently have no power coming off the solenoid to the starter. Three weeks ago, the 7.5 amp fuse off the solenoid blew. I replaced it with a 5amp fuse (have a 10amp for back up) and things have been fine. The following week, I unknowingly over filled the oil by a quart. After draining it back to 1.5 qt and replacing the plugs things were working fine. However, the cart began sporaticly to not start. Oil from the overfill had been thrown on the inside of the cart, but nothing major. There was no real explanation. Battery is at 12.5 v. We checked everything and all the connections. We touched the two sides of the solenoid with a screw driver and got sparks. I went to the local dealer and he stated my bushings were likely bad in the starter and needed replaced after 13 years and were likely worn and not making a connection. After speaking further I mentioned it appeared it wasnt getting any fire to the motor. He thought it could be a bad solenoid even though we got sparks when it was bypassed. So I replaced both and still nothing. The power supply to the starter reads 0 volts. I have 12.5 v on all the bolts off the solenoid with the exception of the bolt that has the starter wire off of it. This 12.5 v is with the key switch on and the gas pedal depressed. The relay switch up by the reverse buzzer also has 12.5 v. Taking a jumper cable off the battery to the starter gets fire. Any thoughts? I spent over 5 hours this weekend on this and it's likely something under my nose. Is this likely another bad solenoid even though it is out of the package new? There are two parts also located on the Solenoid bracket assembly. Not sure what these are, but there are wires going in and out of them. Could this be something that is not passing current to trigger the solenoid to engage? Any help is appreciated!! Thanks
BajaBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid Issues to Starter 97 Gas EZGo

Ez go gas tech... Check out the tech forum and see what you can find in a wiring diagram. Good Luck!!
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
BajaBuggy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Re: Solenoid Issues to Starter 97 Gas EZGo

Thanks Ez GO GO. I replaced the solenoid again and nothing. Tested the original solenoid and replaced the microswitch and it runs like normal. Thanks for the directions.
BajaBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid Issues to Starter 97 Gas EZGo

I don't believe I was much help but am glad to hear you are up and running!!
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO