lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
Playatized
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Charging while driving w/ generator via charger

The second set of batteries is certainly on the table but it would be a real pain in the butt the change out an entire set of batteries twice a day and the cost would be up near a grand for six more new batteries.

The gas powered vehicle is looking better and better, sad to say.
Playatized is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have put a Honda suitcase on a hunting cart. It wasn't 100% effeceint but it helped tremendously.
cwayaustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #13
Playatized
Not Yet Wild

The question at hand is "how did you do it?" How big of generator did you use, what modifications were necessary and what were the performance results from it?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

http://www.solargreencompany.com/Solar_Golf_Cart.html
If you have the $$$
Converting to 8 6 volt batteries instead of 6 h volt batteries will also increase run time.
putting your lights radio on a separate battery 12 Volt in bag well will also decrease battery drain.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #15
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

I used a Honda suitcase, 2000,( I think, can't remember for sure but it was the small quiet one) I installed it in the bagwell, and hooked the delta-q directly to it, not using the green interlock wire that is normally connected to prevent the charger from being used while cart is energized. The charger would not keep the batteries fully charged if you were driving nonstop but did make a big difference in runtime. In stop and go driving it worked excellent.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
Playatized
Not Yet Wild

Cwayaustx,
This is exactly what I have had in mind. I do have the Honda 2000 EU or EI (the quiet one like yours) and thoughts were to fit it in the bag well etc. etc. with the Club Car.

Did you have the generator powering the charger and then into the batteries?
I haven't a clue what the "Delta-Q" is and the "green interlock wire" is that in the charger, the cart or generator? Sorry about being so dumb on this, I'd appreciate being walked through with lots a detail.

Would a different type/size/ or whatever, of charger be a benefit?

Most of my usage is stop and go.

Gleemo,
I have thought about going to 6v batteries but they won't fit in the cart and I have already put all the extra things on an external 12v battery.
I will jump over to your solar link... I do have a few panels I can use and a converter that has a 48v output option.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #17
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

The delta-q is an aftermarket charger made to be mounted onboard, and in my opinion the best made. The green wire is a safety device that is on the charger. With yours you can remove the plug and hard wire to the batteries. Yours has a three wire setup and you have to splice two of them together but I can't remember which two. You will have to find a place to mount the charger, under seat etc.... I think you would accomplish what you are wanting with this setup. Like I said earlier it is not 100% efficient but it does make alot of difference and I will most likely use this again on my workhorse build. It will be only for certain occasions when I might not have access to a power supply. I don't want it in my bed all the time, even thought of building a reciever mounted rack for it.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #18
Playatized
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the details. I will check out the Delta Q as my charger is questionable, something, somewhere is not working although the thing was checked out and I was told it is fine, it still doesn't charge the cart.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #19
darrenorange
Not Yet Wild

Playatized.

Did you come up with a solution? I too will be taking a 36v cart to the playa desert and hope that my Honda 2000 could charge while running. The cart currently does run while charging plugged into the wall. I'm concerned I might blow something up. What might be the cost/gains?

Anyone?
darrenorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car