lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
thinze2
Not Yet Wild

Default I am trying to find an overhead console that fits!

My cart is a '97 EZGO TXT that has an OEM 80" top with the metal banding around it. I am trying to find an overhead console that fits snug to the top. Haven't seen one yet.

The universal consoles all appear straight across at the top, and that would leave a gap of more than 3 inches.

My top looks like this. Any suggestions? ... (not my actual cart)

http://www.shopezgo.com/products/80%...t-Top-Kit.html

and

http://www.mmvehicles.com/EZGO-TXT-8...-Black-PC.html
thinze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
thinze2
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: I am trying to find an overhead console that fits!

I just read that some people have issues with overhead consoles with being so heavy that it causes the top to wiggle back and forth and rattle. Maybe I should mount the radio in dash and put the speakers in the body panel behind the legs. Suggestions?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Mine certainly does. My top is the older type that is made from two pieces. The pic posted appears to be a single piece roof, which I would be concerned with, structurally.

I really like my console, but off-road, it's pretty noisy. If I had to do it again, it would be 50/50 console vs. dash.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well if you don't want to put the radio in the dash, you could do like me and place it under the cup holders. I bought the mount from CustomSpeakerPods.com here is a direct link to the mount.....I also got the pods to mount my 6-1/2" under the dash so the sound it coming at me.

head unit mount
http://www.customspeakerpods.com/199...00-00-05-A.htm

speaker pods
http://www.customspeakerpods.com/199...00-00-01-B.htm

Here is mine.

Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My console has two pieces that form an enclosure. I could easily carve one inch off the two sides to make a curved part that holds the radio and speakers, but I'm not sure how much flex the part that attaches to the roof has.

Also, the "top" part screws to the roof, so if your roof isn't two piece construction, you'd have exposed screws or bolts penetrating the roof, so you'd have to worry about rain water getting inside the console.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
thinze2
Not Yet Wild

Nuke, does any of that get in your way - legs, feet etc.. ? I have seen the big dash consoles, but they appear to take up too much room.

Also, I will have this in the salty air of Galveston. The cart would need to be thoroughly rinsed off each time I put it up. I'm a little afraid of rinsing the cart off well but not getting the system wet.

Yurtle, do you have a link to your overhead console?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
My console has two pieces that form an enclosure. I could easily carve one inch off the two sides to make a curved part that holds the radio and speakers, but I'm not sure how much flex the part that attaches to the roof has.

Also, the "top" part screws to the roof, so if your roof isn't two piece construction, you'd have exposed screws or bolts penetrating the roof, so you'd have to worry about rain water getting inside the console.
yeah his roof looks to be exactly like mine.....and its single walled, not double like a stock rook.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinze2 View Post
Nuke, does any of that get in your way - legs, feet etc.. ? I have seen the big dash consoles, but they appear to take up too much room.

Also, I will have this in the salty air of Galveston. The cart would need to be thoroughly rinsed off each time I put it up. I'm a little afraid of rinsing the cart off well but not getting the system wet.

Yurtle, do you have a link to your overhead console?
well I don't go to the beach with mine.....but I am close to you, as I am in West Columbia, if you don't know where that is, its near Lake Jackson.

as far as them getting in the way, I have no issues as all. you just need to mount the speaker pods very tight to the dash, as there isn't a lot of clearance between the brake pedal and the pod, but mine works just fine.

As far as washing down your cart, that could be an issue. you could get Marine grade speakers, but the head unit would still be susceptible being low.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

They make marine fronts for use with a standard radio. Flips open.

I'll look up a link later this morning.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My console:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...uestion-4.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO